Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can you Mash over the stove?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Microphobik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Can you Mash over the stove?

Hi, it's been about 15 years since I brewed my last beer but I'm about to give it a go again. I used to only brew all grain and I find I have forgotten everything I once knew and Have been doing a lot of brush up.

When I learned how to do it I seem to remember being taught to do the mash right in my pot over the stuff. I just kind of stayed with the covered pot, watching the temperature closely and adjusting the gas as needed. But every single tutorial I have come across suggests that I should use a beverage cooler. I can see how this would be easier but I'm wondering how necessary it is...

Is there a problem with running the mash in a pot over the stuff and then sparking in a bucket?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I partial mash in a pot on the stove, I also sparge in pot on the stove as well. But I only go to 5-5.5 lbs of combined grains.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Old 04-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

you can mash on the stove

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

All you need to know to get started Stove-Top All-Grain brewing from our friendly neighborhood DeathBrewer:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Will it fit in the oven? The problem with the stovetop is that the pot will be way hotter on the bottom than on the top. You can probably get away with it, but it’s not ideal.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post
Will it fit in the oven? The problem with the stovetop is that the pot will be way hotter on the bottom than on the top. You can probably get away with it, but it’s not ideal.
Huh?

I heat my strike water, turn off the burner, dough in, cover and leave it for 60 min losing no more than 1 degree of heat. Never a need to turn the burner back on to reheat the mash. Even if it were required, stirring the mash will distribute the heat just fine. The majority of homebrew mash heating systems are likely bottom Direct-fired, the exception being the homebrewers who have gone to advanced systems that use techniques such as HERMS.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post
They have a way of fixing that..............it's called stirring

Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 723 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I do all my mashing on the stovetop with Brew in a Bag system. Since the bag is the filter I don't need the intact grain husks. That lets me grind my grains pretty fine. It gives me great efficiency and the conversion occurs quickly so I only mash for 30 minutes. Without adding heat I lose about a degree since I have the full volume of water in the pot.

Quick Reply