Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can a weak boil result in watery beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
brewczyk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Can a weak boil result in watery beer?

So my last 4 beers have come out watery which I've attributed to a weak boil. I'm never able to boil my wort down to the 5 gallon mark and am afraid to boil longer. With that said, I have a few boil questions:

1) Does the inability to reach my target boil volume effect the body of my beer? (watery)

2) Do I measure my "post boil" volume with or without the sludge/trub?

3) What do you recommend to increase my boil volume?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 4060

Have you been measuring the gravity before and after you ferment? Im sure that if the post-boil volume is too large it will be a little watery, but maybe its more in your mill efficiency and you are not extracting enough fermentable sugars, resulting in a watery beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I weep about society as a whole. In the land of reality TV and microwave dinners, the homebrewer is king.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
brewczyk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
Have you been measuring the gravity before and after you ferment? Im sure that if the post-boil volume is too large it will be a little watery, but maybe its more in your mill efficiency and you are not extracting enough fermentable sugars, resulting in a watery beer.
Yes, my OG has always been a bit lower then expected. I can attribute this to both your theory of not extracting enough sugar and also my theory about too much water being in the mix. I know for a fact that my post boil volume is higher than what the recipe calls for.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
finsfan
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 4060

well knowing that you keep coming up with too much wort, just dial it back before the boil and you should hit your O.G just fine. How much have you been off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I weep about society as a whole. In the land of reality TV and microwave dinners, the homebrewer is king.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
rklinck

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You do not need to be afraid to boil longer. Boiling longer will not hurt your beer. Just extend the period before you make your first hop addition.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Lack of vigorous boil leads to extra DMS in your beer...........whatever that is I never intend to find out!

http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/04/10...e-brewed-beer/

Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 677 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 171

1) Yes, if you end up with too much volume and low OG the beer will be low alcohol and thin.
I assume you are not doing a partial boil and topping up. So you need to lower the amount that you start the boil with or increase the vigor of the boil. Also #3 you want to LOWER your boil volume not increase it.

2) You should get just a little over 5 gallons to end up with 5 into the bottles. A little loss to trub and a little to evaporation.

3) see above.

Lack of a vigorous boil will not keep DMS in your wort unless it is just barely boiling. Covering the pot during the boil will though.

If you start with less wort preboil and end up with the right volume and still have too low OG then you can search elsewhere, but getting the correct volume comes first.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
brewczyk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
1) Yes, if you end up with too much volume and low OG the beer will be low alcohol and thin.
I assume you are not doing a partial boil and topping up. So you need to lower the amount that you start the boil with or increase the vigor of the boil. Also #3 you want to LOWER your boil volume not increase it.

2) You should get just a little over 5 gallons to end up with 5 into the bottles. A little loss to trub and a little to evaporation.

3) see above.

Lack of a vigorous boil will not keep DMS in your wort unless it is just barely boiling. Covering the pot during the boil will though.

If you start with less wort preboil and end up with the right volume and still have too low OG then you can search elsewhere, but getting the correct volume comes first.
Thanks for the advice. I did an experiment today where I split my boil into two seperate pots. even with each pot only holding 3.25 gallons, i still couldn't reach a good boil. I dreaded having to do this, but i'm going to have to make a heat stick. Making beer takes long enough, i would hate to endure 120 minute boils. Home Depot, here i come.

Quick Reply