New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can someone help me transfer from kits to all grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
ToddPacker69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can someone help me transfer from kits to all grain?

I want to stop using kits and extracted ingredients. I would like to use fresh ingredients eventually, that I grow on my farm, but I am confused with the transformation from kits to buying my own ingredients( not extracts)... Any reading recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Well first I guess would be to read up on the common techniques and decide which one sounds best for you.

There are:

Single vessel system (BIAB)
2 or 3 vessel Batch Sparging
3 vessel Fly Sparging

2 Things you might want to keep in mind are whether you plan on brewing inside vs outside and the size of batches you will likely be doing.

From there you will start to understand what to look for as far as equipment and we can help with that.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
jybingbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I switched to all grain, I purposely used kits - just all grain kits instead. The switch takes a lot of getting used to, so I wanted to minimize other changes until I got the hang of it.

I'd reccomend something similar, once you have your all grain feet under you, you can start experimenting with your own recipies. If you get your stuff online, there are a ton of great kits available.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
ToddPacker69
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will be brewing inside, and for now, just 5 gallon batches..

But where can I find the all grain kits? Any recommendations?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 45

can you boil 7 gallons on the stove top or are you using more than 1 pot? most online places have all grain kits...

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
ToddPacker69
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 20 qt enamel pot that I have been using on my stove top.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
jybingbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPacker69
I will be brewing inside, and for now, just 5 gallon batches..

But where can I find the all grain kits? Any recommendations?
Austin Homebrew, Northen Brewer, Midwest all have a good selection. Brewmasters Warehouse has a ton of user supplied recipe kits.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you want to get away from using kits, then you'll need to learn what the different grains, hops, and yeasts add for flavors and such. I would start by getting the gear you'll need to start brewing all grain (pick your method first) and then start making recipes. There are plenty of sources out there that will tell you what a specific grain will add for flavor, character, etc. to a brew. Same thing with yeasts (look to the lab's sites for best info) and hops. You can also start by looking up recipes of brews you already like and seeing how much of each grain is used in them.

Personally, I went from my first two batches (slightly modified kits from the LHBS) to the third heavily modified 'kit' from the LHBS to making my own recipes.

I would also heavily advise using software when you're putting together a recipe. I've been using BeerSmith for some time now (since before it went 2.0) and really like how I can adjust a recipe almost on the fly and see what the results will be (before crushing the grain).

Depending on which type of method you go with, you'll need to calibrate the results from said setup. I know a lot of people are lauding BIAB as the new coolest method. Personally, I see it as having far too many limitation, at least for me. With a three vessel setup (propane burners) I can easily mash about 30 pounds of grain without worrying about the grain bag ripping, or getting hurt lifting (and then holding) it up to drain. As I see it, BIAB is viable for 5 gallon batches, of moderate strength. Once you get to something stronger, or larger batches, it quickly becomes an issue. But, with how little you can spend initially with it, it's not a bad start. I used it for several batches before moving to a cooler based mash tun, then finally transitioning to a keg mash tun.

As for using ingredients you actually grow yourself... You can easily grow hops to use. Trying to use your own grain can present you with a entirely new set of issues. IMO, better to purchase the malted barley already ready for use. Get involved in a local HBC (HomeBrew Club) that does periodic group grain purchases. Or get into one of the group buys from HBT members that gets posted. Depending on how much you brew, you might be able to purchase most of your grain at one shot. Just get the grains you know you'll use enough of.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
tennesseean_87

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

You're asking two questions and have gotten answers to both. Moving extract to all grain is one thing, making your own recipes is another.

The search feature is your friend. For recipe formulation: go to the top and look in the recipe section to see what a recipe of a style you'd like to do actually consists of. Compare a few well-received examples of the same style to see what the common elements are, what are the proportions of ingredients (5% caramel malt or 15%?), and what the statistics are. Then tweak what you want. Also, consult the recipe and ingredient forum.
For technique, read the all-grain forum and technique forum.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Chanel on Pipe Smoking

Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
ToddPacker69
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great advice thanks. I am probably going to stick with doing 5 gallon batches until I get it done a little better. I eventually want to sell my product. I guess I will try an ALL GRAIN KIT first.

Mashing does sound really interesting, I guess I will have to read up on the process.

Quick Reply