The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can someone help me interperet this water report?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
You can add the gypsum to the boil whenever you want. I add it at 15 min left with the whirlfloc and yeast nutrient. It's just a habit.
OK, but your post didn't say that, so it's confusing/misleading.

EDIT: Apparently you edited the post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
No, but it will definitely (not just may) add alkalinity
Yeah, again. Read.

I said if you overdo it.

You obviously have a bone to pick and just want to appear right.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
afr0byte
Recipes 

Anyways...original poster...you should probably read the water knowledge section of the Bru'n Water spreadsheet (Google for Bru'n Water.)

Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, again. Read.

I said if you overdo it.
You're trying to simplify lime softening in to a couple of lines. It's going to mislead someone that's never heard of it. There are entire threads on how to do it.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
bobbrews
Recipes 

I provided a small snippet of information in an otherwise general passage. It's beneficial to know all your options but I wasn't going to type an entire thesis on the topic.

Also, I did not really include lime in the amendments that homebrewers typically buy. Again, re-read my post.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
I provided a small snippet of information in an otherwise general passage. It's beneficial to know all your options but I wasn't going to type an entire thesis on the topic.

Also, I did not really include lime in the amendments that homebrewers typically buy. Again, re-read my post.
Sure, but you're giving him just enough information to hang himself. Most homebrewers, especially on this forum, use pickling lime to raise the akalinity. It's the rare brewer that actually lime softens their water. Also, it's very unlikely, no matter what the style, that he'll actually need pickling lime given this water profile. He'll almost certainly need acid for his mash.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
bobbrews
Recipes 

In the future, I'll try to tailor custom my responses to what afr0byte will want to read.

Nothing there is going to cause the OP to hang himself. You can use pickling lime to provide calcium and raise alkalinity. I never said that lime will soften your water.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
In the future, I'll try to tailor custom my responses to what afr0byte will want to read.

Nothing there is going to cause the OP to hang himself. You can use pickling lime to provide calcium and raise alkalinity. I never said that lime will soften your water.
Good, you should tailor them as such. If you had said that if you need to raise alkalinity you should add pickling lime then I wouldn't have said you were being misleading. However, you didn't say that. You made it sound like pickling lime is normally used to precipitate CaCO3. That's not true for most homebrewers. If he adds pickling lime he's almost certainly going to have excess alkalinity.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
bobbrews
Recipes 

"had said that if you need to raise alkalinity you should add pickling lime then I wouldn't have said you were being misleading"

I actually kind of said another way to get calcium is to use lime. But that seems to have went over your head.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
"had said that if you need to raise alkalinity you should add pickling lime then I wouldn't have said you were being misleading"

I actually kind of said another way to get calcium is to use lime. But that seems to have went over your head.
Yes, I realize pickling lime adds calcium. However, a brewer wouldn't normally want or need to use pickling lime to add calcium. You made it seem like it's normal to use pickling lime for the purpose of adding calcium.

P.s. that should be "seems to have GONE over your head"

Quick Reply