Can old malt lower efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
I have some old Simpsons Golden pride malts (8-9 months) that I have been using as my base - my efficiency has been coming in really really low (67%) on the last few batches... can old malts be a contributing factor to low efficiency?

Not sure but I have some 2-row that is almost a year now (stored uncrushed) and I'm still getting low 80s for efficiency.

Has anything else changed? Mill gap?, mash times, mash water? Do you know how old the malts were when you bought them?

I switched over to a RIMS system from batch infusions - yes I know - I was just trying to get a feel on all the variables that might have resulted in such low efficiency. I even tried using 2 qt/pound for today's mash.

Incidentally - I also discovered that 3/8 inch tube couplings get clogged very easily. I rectified that but man it sucked!

I have some old Simpsons Golden pride malts (8-9 months)

Not at this age. And even if it was much older than that I wouldn't expect to see much lower efficiency.

Do you think it absorbed an additional amount of moisture? If this happens the malt gets heavier and causes you to use less grains for a given batch while the amount of extract available in the grains doesn't change.

Kai

Not at this age. And even if it was much older than that I wouldn't expect to see much lower efficiency.

Do you think it absorbed an additional amount of moisture? If this happens the malt gets heavier and causes you to use less grains for a given batch while the amount of extract available in the grains doesn't change.

Kai

Well I used brewsmith to do the calculations ahead of time based on the 2 qt/pound thread.

This is the second batch with such low efficiency. I am not really sure what is going on...

Latest posts

Back