The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can a kettle screen cause low efficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
KeythL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
Fly sparging with a bazooka tube is going to be inefficient. To fly sparge effectively, you need a false bottom or manifold that covers the entire base of the MLT otherwise you will get channeling.

-a.
Ah, not if you do it right. I hit 80~90% efficiency and I use a braided hose in my Mash Tun. You only get channeling if you Vorlauf\sparge too fast and disturb the grain bed. It isn't the equipment, its the technique.

Keyth

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny
batch sparge with that setup and your efficiency should go up.
+1

Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #13
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckstout View Post
+1
+2. Great beer can be made with either method of sparging. Also batch will make your brew day faster. I consistently hit 75-80% with batch sparge and have since batch 1 (which was an oh crap I wasn't ready to mash but I just activated the smack pack for the PM batch instead of the extract and grains batch I guess I'm mashing batch). I have an extra 5 gallon round cooler for hlt and extra pot for heating sparge water so I have been toying with trying continuous sparging but if it ain't broke don't fix it right?

Old 07-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #14
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

The reason to try batch sparging in a situation like this is that it eliminates your lauter system and technique as possible causes of poor efficiency. If you batch sparge and your efficiency goes up, you know that your lauter system and/or technique is the cause. Once you know that, you can either correct it and go back to fly sparging (not me!) or just keep batch sparging. Most people who try batch sparging stick with it.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 07-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
chuckstout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
The reason to try batch sparging in a situation like this is that it eliminates your lauter system and technique as possible causes of poor efficiency. If you batch sparge and your efficiency goes up, you know that your lauter system and/or technique is the cause. Once you know that, you can either correct it and go back to fly sparging (not me!) or just keep batch sparging. Most people who try batch sparging stick with it.
+1 again. I started fly sparging, but once I gave batch sparging a try I havnt gone back to fly sparging.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeythL View Post
Ah, not if you do it right. I hit 80~90% efficiency and I use a braided hose in my Mash Tun. You only get channeling if you Vorlauf\sparge too fast and disturb the grain bed. It isn't the equipment, its the technique.

Keyth
That's not what Palmer says. http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

I believe Palmer in this instance when talking about fly sparging.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #17
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use a bazooka screen in my mash tun. I consistently get 72-73% brew house (kettle) efficiency. If I stir the heck out of the mash I can get 75%. PS. I batch sparge.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #18
chuckstout
Recipes 

I use a bazooka style screen 5G cooler and have had roughly 80% eff over the last 10 batches

Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #19
KeythL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
That's not what Palmer says. http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

I believe Palmer in this instance when talking about fly sparging.

-a.
I believe empirical data. You stated an absolute, that with the equipment in question (mashtun with a bazooka style screen sans manifold,or false bottom), one cannot achieve efficient rates fly sparging. I do it all the time...so your statement is incorrect.

I have no problem with those that have recommended to the OP that he give batch sparging a try as a means to address his low mash efficiency, sounds like good advise. Telling someone that something cannot be done, when it can however, isn't.

Quick Reply