Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can a kettle screen cause low efficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Rau71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Can a kettle screen cause low efficiency?

I am not very DIY capable so instead of a manifold or stainless hose I bought the kettle screen/bazooka tube. Would that have anything to do with my low efficiency number or is it just my poor technique as I gain knowledge on how to improve my process? A link to the tube I bought. I got it at AHS when I started.
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/SS-Bazooka-S...#ht_2224wt_905).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

Just how low an efficiency are you getting? You should be able to get a pretty decent efficiency using the screen. A false bottom might improve your efficiency, but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get 70%+ efficiency with just the screen. It is more likely a process or crush issue if it is very poor.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Rau71
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have done 6 AG batches and every one has been between 50-55%. My batch today I accounted for the low efficiency and bought a bigger grain bill to hit my OG. I have bought grains from AHS, NB, and my LHBS. I just bought a grain mill so my next batch I will crush, but I think I need to tighten up my process in the Mash and Fly sparge to improve my efficiency.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Fly sparging with a bazooka tube is going to be inefficient. To fly sparge effectively, you need a false bottom or manifold that covers the entire base of the MLT otherwise you will get channeling.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 499 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rau71
I have done 6 AG batches and every one has been between 50-55%. My batch today I accounted for the low efficiency and bought a bigger grain bill to hit my OG. I have bought grains from AHS, NB, and my LHBS. I just bought a grain mill so my next batch I will crush, but I think I need to tighten up my process in the Mash and Fly sparge to improve my efficiency.
+1 to milling your own grain! Also, with fly sparging it should take at least an hour and you need to be sure there is always a little water sitting over the grain bed as you go. Mash temps are also important so be sure your thermometer is calibrated properly

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

+1 to milling your own grain!
+2 milling your own grain, run your hands through it to make sure its all crushed

Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Rau71
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is it possible to get a false bottom made for a rectangle cooler? I have only seen circular ones. That being said would it be worth it to get a circular Mash tun and a false bottom? I am not confident in my ability to make a manifold for my Rectangular mash tun.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rau71 View Post
Is it possible to get a false bottom made for a rectangle cooler? I have only seen circular ones. That being said would it be worth it to get a circular Mash tun and a false bottom? I am not confident in my ability to make a manifold for my Rectangular mash tun.
I don't think you can get false bottoms for a rectangular cooler, but you can certainly batch sparge which should give you much better efficiency.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

"Can a kettle screen cause low efficiency?"

No

Something else is wrong. I have a 4" stainless braid and I consistently get 84-85%. Now that you have a mill there is a saying, that while not big on this site, that has been around awhile. Crush til your scared

Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Batch sparge with that setup and your efficiency should go up.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply