Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can I use an in-sink instant hot water dispenser for mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default Can I use an in-sink instant hot water dispenser for mash?

The house I bought last year has one of those in(under)-sink instant hot water dispensers for making tea and such. I was wondering whether it would be useful to use this for my strike water? It is filtered before getting to the heater, so I shouldnt have much excess debris/chlorine.

My main concerns are that it will not be able to heat the volume of water needed for mash, and also whether it is more efficient doing this than just bringing water up to temp on my outdoor propane burner/stovetop.

I just started doing PM's and my big issue with going the route of AG is that it takes too long for a brewday when compared to extract. So I am trying to find anything I can to make my time more efficient. I have already started to multitask (bottle clean/fill/keg/transfer to secondary/play with the wife's dog/drink homebrew) while waiting for the mash and/or during the boil. That has done wonders for time management because previously I would have to do that kind of stuff either after the session or sometime during the week.

So does anyone think that the instant hot water dispenser will be worthwhile?

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4739 Times on 4377 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Nope. IIRC, they only produce a gallon or two at temp and you have no control over what that temp is. Maybe yours has an adjustment but it would take some trial and error to find the actual temp.

Might be great for small experimental batches, if you can get the temp low enough.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
kpr121
Recipes 

Yea, I was leaning away from it, but figured I would ask. It does have an adjustment on it, and I measured my cup of tea last night at 159 F (dial was turned about 4/5 the way up to hot). Maybe I'll run a test tonight to see how much water can be dispensed before going cold.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 11-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
lurker18

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It would be at least a good start, rather than bringing cold water up to a boil.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I think it would be fine, and even if you could only get a couple gallons at temp, it would start you out closer. What people DON'T want to do is use hot water from the water heater, because apparently they can have mineral buildup and throw off your water chemistry from what you expect.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
kpr121
Recipes 

I was going through my threads and noticed I never updated this one.

I was only able to get about a gallon of water at 165-170 before the heater basically went cold. So my particular model would not be a good candidate for 5 gallon batches.

It could maybe help for experimental batches, and I actually just used it for a starter (dissolved the dme in the 170 water before putting on the stove).

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Of course, if you have an on-demand water heater in the house, you can use that. Pretty common in Europe, it's finally getting popular in the US now.

HTSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

But even if it didn't heat the full 5 gallons, it would still get you to a faster start then going all cold from the tap.

Everyone seems to freak when I say this, but I use hot tap water after running it for a few minutes, it gets my mash water a head start. I have made some very good beers.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply