Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can I use a single infusion mash for this recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

OK, I'll confess. I don't get this recipe.

Why use honey in a beer with a lot of dark roasted malts? Even at these reduced levels, it's going to be hard for any of the honey character to come through. The honey will ferment out almost completely, which will leave the ending beer a bit on the dry side. But, that's countered by TWO pounds of crystal malt, which is a buttload for most recipes. But, that'a a darked crystal, which I wouldn't necessarily envision with the honey..... so I just don't know what's going on here

Back up to the beginning... how do you envision this beer coming out? What kinds of flavors and characters are you trying to do? You started out with a recipe that was going to be WICKED harsh from all that roasted malt (especially the BP), now you've almost moved to the other end of the spectrum.

What are you trying to make?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
americanweirdo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
OK, I'll confess. I don't get this recipe.

Why use honey in a beer with a lot of dark roasted malts? Even at these reduced levels, it's going to be hard for any of the honey character to come through. The honey will ferment out almost completely, which will leave the ending beer a bit on the dry side. But, that's countered by TWO pounds of crystal malt, which is a buttload for most recipes. But, that'a a darked crystal, which I wouldn't necessarily envision with the honey..... so I just don't know what's going on here

Back up to the beginning... how do you envision this beer coming out? What kinds of flavors and characters are you trying to do? You started out with a recipe that was going to be WICKED harsh from all that roasted malt (especially the BP), now you've almost moved to the other end of the spectrum.

What are you trying to make?
i don't know...

as i said in the original post, this is my third all-grain. this is also ONLY my 8th beer. so i'm very new to everything. i've been studying the BJCP guidelines and (casually) researching different malts (base and specialty). for some reason, i no longer like the idea of taking someone else's recipe... i'm much more interested in building my own recipes based on the style guidelines. that's why i'm here, i guess... to learn how different grains and ingredients interact with one another.

i got the original extract recipe from my LHBS. and I LOVED IT!!! so i thought i could replicate it in an all-grain recipe.

for the overall recipe, i'm not too concerned with a heavy honey flavor. i want a beer that doesn't have a super heavy hops bitterness, but i definitely want the malt to have a bite to it.

if anyone's interested in helping me revise this recipe, i'd be more than appreciative.

seriously... lay down what you would do for this recipe, and i'll probably end up brewing it. but i don't always want to brew a beer that someone else has already done... to me, it takes the fun out of it.

thanks for all the advice!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
for some reason, i no longer like the idea of taking someone else's recipe... i'm much more interested in building my own recipes based on the style guidelines
Got to admire that!

I never owned a clone book, I think they’re for people who are scared to try to make a recipe on there own. (JUST MY OPINION) Disclaimer: I did check out a book from the library so I could try to make my wife an Oberon Clone.

I would start simple. Pick a style you like, say a porter with some honey.
Porter or Northern Brown tweener
For a 5 gallon batch

8 lbs Base malt (Marris Otter)
1.25 lbs Crystal 40
.75 lb Victory
.75 lb Special Roast
.5 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz EKG @ 60 min

Add your honey at flame out. Wait 3 weeks then bottle. Wait 3 weeks then taste. If you think it needs more roasted malt add it to the next batch. If it needs more body add more base malt or cara pils. If it’s too sweet add more crystal and so on just start with an easy recipe and build on it. Once you think you have that style mastered move on to the next style.

Last edited by King of Cascade; 09-02-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply