New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can I use this cooler for mashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
saintjondoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I use this cooler for mashing?

Good day,

I'm looking make the move from all extract to partial mash brewing. I'd like to try to make a lautering system using a camping cooler, but the problem is that there are not a lot of options in terms of actual coolers to choose from. (I live in Japan).

At the local hardware store I could only find one (I've attached pictures). Can I turn use this cooler for lautering, or should I keep searching? Notice the drainage slots at the bottom--I don't know if these slots will help or hurt with the lautering process. Also, I don't know the dimensions of the cooler, but I could easily go and get that information.

Any opinions?

Thank you for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
emjay
Lacto- and pediophile
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjondoe
Good day,

I'm looking make the move from all extract to partial mash brewing. I'd like to try to make a lautering system using a camping cooler, but the problem is that there are not a lot of options in terms of actual coolers to choose from. (I live in Japan).

At the local hardware store I could only find one (I've attached pictures). Can I turn use this cooler for lautering, or should I keep searching? Notice the drainage slots at the bottom--I don't know if these slots will help or hurt with the lautering process. Also, I don't know the dimensions of the cooler, but I could easily go and get that information.

Any opinions?

Thank you for your help.
Do you know how many days it's supposed to hold ice for? I'm more unsure of its ability to hold heat.

But... other than that, it should be fine. The internal geometry of the cooler doesn't matter too much unless you want to fly sparge, so the only thing I'd suggest is stick to batch sparging.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

it looks big for partial mash... looks perfect for all grain! the longer it holds ice... the longer it will hold heat.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

See if you can get the quart, or gallon, capacity of the cooler. That will let you figure out how much grain you'll be able to mash in it. I would also check to make sure the inside is HDPE, so that it's safe to use. How long it will hold ice is also important, as already mentioned.

Chances are, you'll be able to fit it with a 1/2" ball valve and manifold setup. You have options, but you might want to make one that uses the existing grooves in the bottom to better channel the wort out.

Personally, if it's not rated to hold ice for at least 5 days, I'd move along to something else.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 11-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
saintjondoe
Recipes 

I'm really sorry I couldn't reply sooner, things in general got really crazy/busy soon after I posted so I couldn't make time.

I really, really appreciate the advice. I haven't been able to look at the Japanese cooler so I don't know how well it would retain heat. As luck would have it, I was able to find a Coleman beverage cooler! (Coleman - 5 Gallon Beverage Cooler - Blue -) I think that these are commonly used for mashing, right?

I don't want to jump into full mashing yet, so are you suggesting that I spring for a smaller cooler? I was able to find the 5 gallon and 2 gallon versions, so will the 2 gallon one work better for my purposes?

Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Coleman - 5 Gallon is pretty small for all grain it can be done but it gets really tight for higher gravity mashes, most people use 10 gallons.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
AussieBrewerInColorado

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

yup, go for it.

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado