Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can i use the ball valve from my old MLT in my new brew kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
wookiemofo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Can i use the ball valve from my old MLT in my new brew kettle?

I just picked up a 10gal orange drink cooler and a 7.5gal brew kettle. I may regret not going 10... but it was used, cheap, and already ported for a thermometer and ball valve.

It has an old ball valve on there, and it works. But i was wondering if I could use the valve from my smaller orange drink cooler? I could just take it apart and see if it fits. The kettle wasn't drilled, I don't think. Where the port it the kettle itself actually petrudes. Does that make sense? Or should I just leave the valve that's on there?

Also wondering if someone can recommend a good thermometer to add? And how hard would it be to add a sight glass thing?

I guess the downfall is the kettle doesn't have any handles... but I really shouldn't be moving 5+ gal of hot wort anyway right?

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Can't really tell if you other "unknown size" ball valve would fit, but if the one on there works, why bother...no handles? Happy brewing!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
wookiemofo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah no handles, didn't realize it till i hauled it into the house! Think it will be an issue? I got the pot for $50. Figure I'll learn to deal. He had a cheaper 30qt with handles and no valves for $30. Maybe I should get that for my sparge water? Or use my 20qt for that?

I assume I just have to chill right on my burner then drain into my carboy?

Quick Reply