can I rack onto this yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan0914

Reaction score
So I just finished kegging a blond and a cider that I used gelatin to clear up. Im going to be brewing tomorrow can i put that on my least cake even though i used gelatin. and also the same with the cider. I'd hate the opportunity to go to waste.

Ryan, great question. It may be helpful for you to go to the Fermentation and yeast section and search "yeast cake" as there have been many good discussions on this practice.

That's not a very helpful answer riverfrontbrewer.

Generally racking on to a yeast cake works fine, however, I would be hesitant because of the gelatin.

I've never used gelatin so hopefully someone will pop in that has but I think yeast washing may be a better bet.

Bernie did a great job with a tutorial in this link https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Thanks Normey thats what I was afraid of, I've reused yeast cakes plenty of time but haven't run across this yet. I wasn't asking how to reuse the yeast cake or along those lines, I was trying to find out if i can still use it even though I used gelatin to clarify. I did some searches before I posted and couldn't find anything.

i wouldn't. the purpose of gelatin is to make yeast drop out of suspension. it does this by smothering it, basically. IF any yeast survives, you'll end up VERY underpitched

Back