The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can I do this partial mash in my 2 gallon cooler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
vince805
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Can I do this partial mash in my 2 gallon cooler?

I bought a 2 gallon igloo cooler and folding steamer to make the same mini mash tun that revvy did here. I ordered a couple partial mash kits from austin homebrew and the grain bags are 4.25 and 4.3 lbs Would I be able to do these in my 2 gallon cooler or should I upgrade to coleman 5 gallon?

Ok, I just found this site http://www.krotchrott.com/calc.html and under "Can I mash it?" I put 4.3 lbs and it says this will take 1.69 gallons, so I think I should be good. Also I am going to be changing the mlt to use a stainless braid instead of the strainer.

Anybody have anything to add to this, or does it look like I should be good to go?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
DrJerryrigger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It sounds like it will be fine for that. Though I'd recommend not putting too much into that set up as you'll likely want a bigger mash tun down the road.

Don't forget the temp of your grain. It takes more (or hotter) water if your grain is colder. It's good to store grain in the fridge, but take it out a day or two before use.

making (C6H10O5)n- into C12H22O11 and then into C2H5OH, and then getting drunk

Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 8

While your 2 gallon should work well as proposed, you could think towards a 5 gallon should the desire to AG presents you will then be all set.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply