HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can I do an all wheat mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
r_vear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Can I do an all wheat mash?

I am currently living in a place where there is nothing available, as far as I can tell but wheat. Now I have 7.5lbs of crushed wheat, and I'm not sure if it's malted or not. I know that I need the enzymes of someting malted to help break down the wheat so all that I could find was 2 lbs. of Malted Wheat Flakes. Will that be enough or does my mash require malted barley?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
LuiInIdaho

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Need some enzymes

From what I have read, you cannot do an all-wheat beer. If I recall correctly, it is recommended to have no more than 50% wheat as the grain bill. You will need some malted barley to give you the enzymatic action that is needed. (Please correct me if I am wrong). I hope that this helps.

Mark

Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_vear
I am currently living in a place where there is nothing available, as far as I can tell but wheat. Now I have 7.5lbs of crushed wheat, and I'm not sure if it's malted or not. I know that I need the enzymes of someting malted to help break down the wheat so all that I could find was 2 lbs. of Malted Wheat Flakes. Will that be enough or does my mash require malted barley?
Well, 100% malted wheat beers have been done successfully... but I can't speak to your ingredients. Why not try it and let us know how it turns out?!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1127 Times on 825 Posts
Likes Given: 451

I believe malted wheat can self-convert, so a 100% wheat beer is theoretically possible, but probably not a good idea. I'm sure someone has done it. I know the folks at Basic Brewing did a 100% rye beer.

Unless you have a load of rice hulls or are doing BIAB, you'll never be able to sparge. I've gone as high as 60% wheat with no issues (doing BIAB).

In this case, i don't know if wheat malt can convert other grains, so if the other wheat you have hasn't had something done to convert it already i don't know if it'd work. Plus if you can't get a lautering aid (rice hulls etc) or do BIAB you're guaranteed a stuck sparge.

Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf
I believe malted wheat can self-convert, so a 100% wheat beer is theoretically possible, but probably not a good idea. I'm sure someone has done it. I know the folks at Basic Brewing did a 100% rye beer.
They're also the guys who do a 100% wheat beer

Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_vear View Post
Mail order? There are so many great online retailers for brewing ingredients on the sponsors page here. More and more Northern Brewer gets my money compared to the local shops. It makes me feel guilty about not supporting the local economy, but the shops NEVER have everything I need.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If your wheat isn't malted, you will have to add amylase enzyme.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
emetcalf
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought malted wheat actually had more enzymes than 2-row malted barley, but I could be wrong. I don't think 2 lbs of malted wheat flakes will be enough to convert 7.5 lbs of unmalted wheat though. I'm not even sure if the enzymes would still be there after the flaking process. If the 7.5 lbs of wheat are actually malted then there won't be any conversion problems, but sparging will still suck.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

You can definitely do 100% malted wheat mashes.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
r_vear
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post

Unless you have a load of rice hulls or are doing BIAB, you'll never be able to sparge. I've gone as high as 60% wheat with no issues (doing BIAB).

In this case, i don't know if wheat malt can convert other grains, so if the other wheat you have hasn't had something done to convert it already i don't know if it'd work. Plus if you can't get a lautering aid (rice hulls etc) or do BIAB you're guaranteed a stuck sparge.

What is a BIAB?

Quick Reply