Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can I brew all grain with this

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
AlzHighmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Can I brew all grain with this

10 gal. aluminum pot
10 gal. stainless
16 gal. brew pot false bottom(3/32 holes,seems large),screen and temp gauge
30 Gal. stainles
All but one have spigots
Can you keep a mash temp in a pot with a gas burner or do I have to insulate somehow?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Once you hit your strike temp, mash in, get to your mash temp, turn the fire off, put the lid on, then wrap the pot with some sort on insulation, towels, blankets, etc.

Yes you should be able to do it, may take some practice.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do BIAB all-grain in 1 10g Aluminum pot with no spigot...so you should definitely be able to do that.

If you want the full 3-tier, again I am sure you can set it up for that, but it will involve some work.

As far as keeping mash temps, I use 1 old polar-fleece blanket that was just sitting aorund the house not used anymore. I fold it over on itself about 4 times, and loosely bungee it around my brew kettle (all around the sides and over the top, bottom is exposed, but it is on the warm stove...), I lose 1-2* tops over an hour like this, which is good enough for me.

Honestly, it is surprisingly easy once you get your process dialed in and get used to your equipment. Everything after the mash works exactly the same, and mashing isn't anything really crazy. You will need a good thermometer...and it takes longer to cool full-boil batches, but that is about it.

That is my take anyways, to each his own.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Stocktonbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 40

If you Can pick up a couple of propane burners you could easily build a 3-tier system with what you have. I love mine and brew day is super easy.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
WhiskeyHillBC
Recipes 

They sell an insulation blanket for water heaters that should help contain your heat in the pot. Just secure with a bungie.

Quick Reply