Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can I add water to my fermenter after the first day?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Brewmaster_n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Can I add water to my fermenter after the first day?

I did my first AG recipe yesterday and did a 3gal. Sparge with a 3gal. strike. Because of grain absorption and boiling evaporation I ended up with 4gal. wort.
Can I now (one day later) add 1gal. to my wort in the fermenter? Or am I just a brewmaster_n00b and have to settle for the 4gal. batch? thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
zach976
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Did you use a recipe or check your OG? I'm a brewing noob myself. I think its ok to add as soon as you realize your short but not a day later. My first all grain, I followed the directions and apparently boiled off too much wort. My second recipe I compensated for the loss by starting with more water. After the boil I was right where I needed to be.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Brewmaster_n00b
Recipes 

Yup. That's where I am. Not sure if I should add room temp tap water or boil it first and let it cool to room temp before adding it. Its been 24hrs now.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 214

What was the predicted and actual OG? Add ing a gallon of water will dilute your beer

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Brewmaster_n00b
Recipes 

I don't have a hydrometer yet, I'm brewing by the seam of my pants as it were. I purchased an AG cream ale from NB and it didn't come with a recipe, only times to pitch. so I had to Google, youtube, and HBT everything else. I thought 6 gals would become 5 not 4 so I didn't realize the power of reduction.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
Brewmaster_n00b
Recipes 

I found this but it didn't really answer any questions: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/not-...menter-225274/

Old 05-21-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
JohnBanjovie
Recipes 

I would not recommend adding more water to your wort at this point.

If you were to add water before you transferred your wort to your fermenter that would have been fine. However, the period after your wort cools and starts to ferment is very critical. Your goal is to allow your yeast to colonize and dominate the environment inside your fermenter, and adding bacteria filled water at this time is not a good idea.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
bannerj
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster_n00b View Post
I don't have a hydrometer yet, I'm brewing by the seam of my pants as it were. I purchased an AG cream ale from NB and it didn't come with a recipe, only times to pitch. so I had to Google, youtube, and HBT everything else. I thought 6 gals would become 5 not 4 so I didn't realize the power of reduction.
Note that all kits from NB should have links to the recipes on the site. Go to the page where you purchased the kit. Look at the three tabs underneath the price. You'll see "additional information." Click that and click again on the "recipe and instruction" Click Here!

I'm still pretty new to brewing, just about a year. Maybe my comments will kick up some other more seasoned members.

Going straight to AG is pretty ballsy especially without a hydrometer. Get one soon because you'll want to check our FG to make sure your efficiency and fermentation all worked out before bottling. If something is off on the FG, you'll want to think through your brew process to identify what needs to be improved on. Without the hydrometer, you'll be shooting in the dark for 30-45 days only then to know if it's going to be anywhere close to good. But it's more than that. The attenuation between the OG and FG steers the flavor.

As far as adding water....I've read that some think it's okay but you'd want to boil and cool it to the ferment temp.

BUT for your first batch, I'd leave it alone and learn to leave it alone. It'll just be a bit stronger of a beer...maybe even better than you'd figure.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Brewmaster_n00b
Recipes 

Well, my first brew was an extract kit and when I ordered the next one I noticed that the AG recipe kit was $10 cheaper but it said "Advanced" so, Ballsy? I guess. I'll take that as a complement, I made my own mash tun and the wort was very sticky from all the sugar that got extracted from the grains so I know I did it right. I calculated that the grains would absorb .5gal. and I would boil off .5gal. so, I miscalculated by .5 on both leaving me with 1gal. short. I'll link here the recipe for the AG cream ale from NB. as you can see, it doesn't give me much info at all. poor on their part if you ask me. I guess I have to order the AG DVD separately. I'm sure I can get along fine without it. I've got you guys and google (which points back to you guys most of the time. lol)

Here's the recipe. Note there's no mention of how many gallons to use. tsk tsk.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/c...grain-kit.html

Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
BlackFurnaceBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Best not to add water now since your fermentation has already started. Doing so will likely stop your fermentation.

I would personally drink it as-is. Your will just have a "bigger" beer.

If you are intent on reducing it, you could try adding water at bottling. I would pitch another dry yeast packet just to make sure you get good carbonation.

Primary: Bear's Mountain IPA
Secondary: Chocolate Raspberry Port
Bottled: General Stark ESB, Christine's 1/4 Mile Wheat, 82nd Airborne Amber, Sweet Home Bourbon Ale
On Deck: Double Clutch IPA, Breckenridge Ale, Black Nitrous Whiskey Stout

Quick Reply