Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can base grain be bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #21
SCBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

sour usually means infection.

That is pretty funny that you got it from 7 bridges. I know they have a pretty good name in the organic brewing circles. Though, like I said, I don't get my ingredients from them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #22
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sour sure sounds like some potential bacteria. Was the yeast fresh from new vials both times or is it previosuly harvested/washed yeast?

Damn sorry to hear a heavily hopped beer went south on you. Hops costing what they do and all.

An earlier poster asked if you had more of the grain to taste some raw. Were you able to try that? You might also make a small 1qt tea with some as well.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 09-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #23
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

not sure if it's been asked but: Why two fermometers?

Old 09-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #24
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrew View Post
sour usually means infection.

That is pretty funny that you got it from 7 bridges. I know they have a pretty good name in the organic brewing circles. Though, like I said, I don't get my ingredients from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Sour sure sounds like some potential bacteria. Was the yeast fresh from new vials both times or is it previosuly harvested/washed yeast?

Damn sorry to hear a heavily hopped beer went south on you. Hops costing what they do and all.

An earlier poster asked if you had more of the grain to taste some raw. Were you able to try that? You might also make a small 1qt tea with some as well.

I agree.. I've never had WLP 001 get that low of OG.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #25
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think if the grain was sour to begin with you would have smelt it when you mashed.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #26
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangj View Post
I agree.. I've never had WLP 001 get that low of OG.
Wow! Yeah I missed that the first time I looked at the hydro. I thought I saw 1.016, but that is 1.006. WLP001 normally wouldn't go that low. You may have had a wild yeast assist there. Good eye Mustangj.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 AM   #27
PintOfBitter
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sour mustard sounds like lacto infection. the last hop addition is suspicious. your hops could definitely have carried some bugs into your cooling wort. hops aren't germicidal, though some may disagree.dry hop in secondary after the pH has dropped and theres some alcohol content. you'll get more aroma this way anyhow.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 09-18-2009, 04:22 AM   #28
telebrewer
Recipes 

Obviously, it's infected. Not the grain...So, is it the dry hopping? My wort chiller doesn't get submerged all the way during the last 15 minutes of the boil. Could that be it? The fermenter is definitely clean and sanitized... All equipment is sanitized with it...I'm at a loss. I use Iodophor. Signed Super Bummed...

Old 09-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #29
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well the first thing is to do a very anal sanitizing of everything that touches the brew. Paddles, spoons, hydrometer, fermentor etc. I do not use iodophor, but double check that you are using it in the correct concentration and for the correct length of time.

As to the wort chiller, how big a brew pot are you boiling in? The fact that it is not fully submerged during the boil could very well be your problem. Is it a 50ft chiller? You may need to chop a couple turns off of it if it sits to high in the kettle. The wort splashing up onto it could be a prime area for nasties to take hold.

On the hops I assume you are adding into cool down to try to preserve some of the aromatic oils. You might want to try another method. I have heard on some podcasts that some poeple make a hop tea in a french press for such purposes. You can either mix up a small batch of low OG DME or maybe use second runnings from your sparge. You boil it for 15 minutes. Let it cool to maybe 180-190 degrees then put it in a sanitized French press with your hops for 10-15 minutes. You can then add this to your wort once it is cooled down preserving some of the aromatic oils.

Your other choice is to up the flame-out addition or dry hopping schedule.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #30
PintOfBitter
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I doubt the chiller is the issue - copper conducts heat really well, the top of the chiller probably got hot enough. the late hops is the only thing I can think of, assuming you're good about overall sanitation. I'm happier with star san than iodophor, simply for ease of use. you might consider a switch.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Quick Reply