New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Campden/KMeta vs. Filtering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
mabrungard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Some (more expensive?) RO systems do have chlorine and/or chloramine removal features, I believe. Is it because of a special filtering?
Almost all RO membranes are damaged by chlorine or chloramine. Therefore, most systems include a AC prefilter to remove those compounds from the influent water stream.

I notice that some RO systems include AC post filters too. I'm not really sure why those are included since anything that the postfilter could remove, the prefilter should have already caught.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 72

RO systems use a carbon prefilter that does a good job with the chloramine because of the extremely long contact time feeding the low volume membrane. Then they carbon filter it again to “polish” the water.

Here’s a link to a series of articles on water filters. Awesome company, BTW. I have been using them for years.

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/

Old 08-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
mabrungard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post
Then they carbon filter it again to “polish” the water.
Since the prefilter adsorbs just about everything, there is little for a postfilter to pick up. Hydrogen sulfide is one compound that can easily permeate the RO process, that could be one reason a user may need a postfilter. If your water supply doesn't have a rotten egg aroma, then it may not be necessary to use a postfilter. Many systems do not employ them.

By the way, that was an interesting site.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
TheZer
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mabrungard, what is your opinion on using ascorbic acid as an effective method to remove chloramines?

San Francisco Public Utilities Commission states 1000mg per medium sized bathtub (50 gal?) HERE.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
mabrungard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZer View Post
Mabrungard, what is your opinion on using ascorbic acid as an effective method to remove chloramines?

San Francisco Public Utilities Commission states 1000mg per medium sized bathtub (50 gal?) HERE.
It is effective. I'm pretty sure that the reason that its not used more commonly than metabisulfite is cost. At the homebrewing scale, that is probably not an issue.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National

Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
oldbullgoose
Recipes 

Brewed a pale ale with 1/2 a campden tab crushed in my strike water and 1/2 a campden tab crushed in my sparge water. We'll see if I get a chlorophenolic taste. Hoping not!

Perhaps I'll try the ascorbic acid next time.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
oldbullgoose
Recipes 

No off flavors detected in the Pale's primary. Looks like a full campden tablet took care of it. Thanks for all of the feedback.

I've read here that you can use Polyclar to get rid of phenolic off flavors including chlorophenols. Does this sound at all possible? From the little I've read, I'm willing to give it a shot to try to salvage the 40 gallons of beer that is affected.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
mabrungard
Recipes 

Polyclar is fine powder of charged particles that adsorbs compounds and gets them to precipitate out of the solution. It works well for polyphenols from hopping, but I haven't heard of it working for chlorophenols. I don't think it will work, but you might as well try it. Report back if it does or doesn't.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National

Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #19
oldbullgoose
Recipes 

Will do. Going to try it out this weekend. I apparently am blessed with an exceedingly acute sense of tasting them, so I'll be able to tell quickly. It's almost infuriating that I can hardly drink the beer and everyone in the house drinks it like there's nothing wrong.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
oldbullgoose
Recipes 

No dice on the Polyclar, at least a week out. Kegged up an tainted batch of IPA and let it sit with Polyclar for 7 days at 33 degrees. No noticeable change in the chlorophenol taste. Looks like I'm dumping some beer.

Quick Reply