Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > calculating efficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
BullF-16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default calculating efficiency?

I performed a search for "calculating efficiency" but did not get what i was looking for. I am delving into the realm of AG this next weekend and I see alot of concern over mash efficiency. Just how does one calculate efficiency, and does it refer to the pre boil wort.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 AM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Read this

Get Beersmith's trial software, it's free to use for 21 days and can calculate efficiency.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 09-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 to beersmith (just bought the full version yesterday). Then when you know your average efficiency, it can help you adjust recipes to compensate so you can hit your OG.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Read this efficiency thread and especially post #11.

+1 on BrewSmith, which I also use now, but it is good to understand how to calculate your efficiency without the aid of a tool more complex than a pencil.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 933 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 28

With no implied refutation of the sources listed, there's also a section on efficiency in my all grain primer..

To your specific question about whether it's measured from preboil wort....

Mash Efficiency - How much of the available sugar was actually converted from the starch during the mash. This says nothing of your ability to separate that sugar during lautering/sparging. It is difficult to measure this and can be basically ignored if you're sure you've gotten good conversion (starch test).

Lauter/Sparge Efficiency - Assuming you converted all the starch to sugar, this is how much of the available sugars you were able to collect during the lauter/sparge function. Using a separation and sparge method that rinses "best" will yield higher efficiency. This value is easily measured by noting how much wort you've collected pre-boil (volume) and measuring its specific gravity (using a hydrometer or refractometer). These numbers will be compared against the theoretical maximum gravity.. More later.

Brew House Efficiency - This measurement/figure takes into account your entire process and is the most indicative of how much your wort "costs". The volume/gravity measurements are taken post boil, or most accurately in the fermenter itself. This number will be lower the previous efficiency measurement because it takes into account any wort you may have lost in your tubing, absorbed into hop sludge, or spilled between the MLT and Kettle or the Kettle and fermenter.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply