Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > calculating boil off?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
maida7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Default calculating boil off?

I've recently changed my brewing set up. New larger pot and mash ton so I can do 10 gallon batches. As a result I need to get a handle on my new boil off rate for the big pot.

Would it be accurate to do a test boil with water? Like fill the pot with 14 gallons of water and then boil that for 60 min. Cool it and take a post boil reading. Is this accurate or am I missing something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Until you actually do a bunch of brews and can accurately do the measurements with a "real" brew, doing the water boil-off is a good way to get an estimate.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 540 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Sure that would work, boiloff varies tremendously w/ ambient temperatures and wind, kettle dimensions and heat applied. Basicly it is just trial and error. Rather than go through the excersize of boling water, I would just make a batch and collect what I felt was a little extra runnings. Simply extend the boil if needed, or add a touch of water if short.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

You can do a test boil to get an idea of what your boil off will be. But you cannot use that as a percentage to calculate the loss for other size boils. If all other conditions are the same, your volume loss will be similar (not identical) regardless of the size of your boil.

As wilserbrewer said... best bet is to make beer and learn how your system reacts.
Personally, I would prefer to undershoot the volume and slowly add water in the last 15 minutes than to overshoot. If you extend the boil time to reduce the volume, it will impact your hop utilization. Of course adding water to the end of the boil tends to kill the boil, so starting with the correct volume is preferred.

Ed

Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

I concur that a test boil won't give you that much information. Your propane regulator's output changes with the slightest turns... I basically have to figure out how high my regulator should be every single brew, by watching the boil and listening to the fire. Even still, I measure the volume during the boil at least a couple times to make sure I'm on target.

Quick Reply