Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > A BYO recipe says to let wort sit 15min before cooling why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
ipso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default A BYO recipe says to let wort sit 15min before cooling why?

BYO "Hop Lover’s Guide" – for AleSmith IPA, p8 reads:

Quote:
“Whirlpool wort and let sit for 15min before you begin cooling.”
(A 15min delay also specified here)

??? Why? What can be gained from this? All I see is downside to delaying pitching. Are they assuming some kind of super chiller? My immersion chiller takes 55min to cool a batch down to 70°. That’s plenty of time for those “1min” hops to do their thing.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3276 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 2795

Alll the recipes in Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing say the same thing. I think it has something to do with settling of coagulated protiens in the boil (from the hot break). That's a guess. I think it also presupposes the use of an immersion chiller instead of CFC or other type that moves the wort.

I've never done it (I don't whirlpool either) so I'm looking forward to hearing the correct answer myself.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Ignore that advice.

Chill to 150-160 F as soon as possible. Toss in your whirlpool hops and stir. Slow cool to 65 F and voila. Best results possible.

Try it. I'm convinced. Maybe you will be too.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso View Post
byo "hop lover’s guide" – for alesmith ipa, p8 reads:

(a 15min delay also specified here)

??? Why? What can be gained from this? All i see is downside to delaying pitching. Are they assuming some kind of super chiller? My immersion chiller takes 55min to cool a batch down to 70°. That’s plenty of time for those “1min” hops to do their thing.

Thanks!
55 min?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If you whirlpool, you need to let the wort settle for 15-20 mins so the trub settles out of suspension. I cool then whirlpool because I use an immersion chiller. With a plate chiller you whirlpool first, let it settle, then run the clean wort through the plate chiller.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3276 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 2795

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
If you whirlpool, you need to let the wort settle for 15-20 mins so the trub settles out of suspension. I cool then whirlpool because I use an immersion chiller. With a plate chiller you whirlpool first, let it settle, then run the clean wort through the plate chiller.
Exactly what I thought. Thanks for spelling that out clearly.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Ignore that advice.

Chill to 150-160 F as soon as possible. Toss in your whirlpool hops and stir. Slow cool to 65 F and voila. Best results possible.

Try it. I'm convinced. Maybe you will be too.
Don't ignore the advice in the OP

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/fat-owl-pale-ale-55221/

Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
JayMac
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Have you noticed if this is equally as effective as whirpooling before cooling? To me, it seems as the settling of the trub this way won't be as effective, as the it will settle randomly on the chiller, on the pot, and sporatically on the bottom of the pot during the approx 20-25 mins it takes to cool. Correct me if you've observed proper settling.

BTW, how long did you wait before draining into the fermentor? The usually 10 mins?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
ipso
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From what I understand breweries “whirlpool” to get the trub into a hard pack in the center of the brew kettle. This is NOT to make the beer “better”, or even the final product clearer, but simply to reduce cleaning and “stuck”ness on down the line. But I don’t even see how presumably heavier crud (since you’re letting it settle) goes to the center when centrifuging – but that’s what people do so I guess it works.

As I understand it many breweries hop during the whirlpool. Hops moving through spinning wort is simply more efficient usage than sitting on top of bottom draining wort. This is a secondary “whirlpool” term usage – the time when you add those hops.

Me – when the boil is done I turn the flame off and put the lid on (with immersion chiller hose fittings sticking out – chiller having been boiled for 10min) and I cover the brew kettle with tinfoil (like a starter) for the hour it takes my puny faucet to exchange the heat. When time, I remove my tinfoil covered lid and pour my brew kettle contents through a sanitized strainer (having already pitched my decanted starter into the primary – and wearing a face mask so I don’t breath into the wort.) Using whirlfloc there is definite huge coagulated hot/cold break in the primary – even having been filtered though the hop filled strainer. I don’t skim off hot break (improves head retention), nor do I rack out clear wort after chilling. All that drops out anyway.

Is the “whirlpool” method even applicable with an immersion chiller and pouring into your primary? I don’t think so. I don’t see the point. I guess logically if you can get one going – self sustaining – it would increase your immersion chiller efficiency drastically - but I’m guessing – that’s what I imagine people are sometimes talking about. This would be a third use for the term “whirlpool” – efficiency of heat exchange.

People say “whirlpool” and I don’t know what they are even talking about half the time.

Likewise – I have no idea what this means – and it’s frustrating.

Quote:

Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I whirlpool by pumping the wort through my CFC to start chilling before I let the trub settle. The whirlpool isn't quite as strong as it could be, but it is sufficient to keep the trub cone away from the wort pickup tube. After a 15 min. whirlpool and cool the temperature is down to about 85 deg. I then let it settle for 15 min. before draining, again through the CFC. The output to the fermenter is usually 65-68 deg., as my well water is at 60-63 deg. in the summer.

Quick Reply