Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Buying a Brew Pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
awarner322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Buying a Brew Pot

Looking for some help trying to find a good brew pot. I am making 5 gallon batches right now on a 7.5 gallon kettle. I want to upgrade to at least a 10 gallon kettle. I don't plan on doing 10 gallon batches anytime too soon. Would prefer stainless over aluminum but not 100% necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Adam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Bought one of the Polarware 42 qt models with the ball valve and temp probe port and have been very pleased with it. I did end up taking the thermo out and put the plug back in though. The probe got in the way for BIAB.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
rgarry
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Bigger is better. I have 8 gal and wish I went with 10 gal (full grain 5 gal batch)

Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
namyarb3
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 30

16 gallon SS bayou classic brew pot. I went from a 5g SS kettle to this big boy. Spigot, false bottom, thermo included. Love it. Just need something big enough to heat it...
I'm working on that last part now...

Fu*k 'em if they won't get drunk.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I would buy for the possibility of doing BIAB 5-gallon full-volume boils, which means you need enough for boil off, grain absorption, dry grain volume, and enough margin to avoid a boil-over. I would go with at least 10 gallons, more if you ever plan to go north of 1.065 BIAB.

I'm using a 4 gallon pot for 2.5 gallon BIAB at the moment and there's a couple quarts of topping up involved a couple places in the process, and my efficiency is stuck at 65-69%. I would use at least a 6 gallon for my requirements if I could do it again.

I've been eyeing the Northern Brewer stainless pots with the thermometer and ball valve lately but haven't upgraded yet...

Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
mccabedoug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarner322 View Post
Looking for some help trying to find a good brew pot. I am making 5 gallon batches right now on a 7.5 gallon kettle. I want to upgrade to at least a 10 gallon kettle. I don't plan on doing 10 gallon batches anytime too soon. Would prefer stainless over aluminum but not 100% necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Adam
Couple questions to make suggestions more meaningful: How much do you wish to spend? Are you a DIY-er and are willing to install your drain and pickup tube yourself? Or do you wish to have it done for you as part of the purchase? These preferences will narrow down your choices.

For example, I am a cheap SOB and a DIY-er so I bought a nice, 10 gal, heavy duty aluminum pot (Amazon) and installed my drain (Bargain Fittings) and pickup tube (Home Depot) myself. This was after using a 7.5 gal porcelain steel pot that I got at a lawn sale for more than 4 yrs. Still works.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Stout Kettles. I just got a 15-gallon. Pricey? Yes. But the build quality is incredible. You'll never buy another unless you just need to go bigger.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
blakelyc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I was gonna buy a 10 gallon kettle and got talked into converting a keg just to get a bit more space. And, I happened upon a keg at the right moment. It is totally DIY, but I look forward to making it a winter project.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I picked up an Update International SS 40qt on Amazon recently. It's the same pot Northern Brewer sells as the Megapot and I believe MWSupply also sells it and rebrands it.

Anyway, much cheaper on Amazon as Update International and is of fantastic quality with clad bottom and big beefy handles. I'm impressed with it and will later add my own ball valve. Maintains heat perfect for BIAB

Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakelyc View Post
I was gonna buy a 10 gallon kettle and got talked into converting a keg just to get a bit more space. And, I happened upon a keg at the right moment. It is totally DIY, but I look forward to making it a winter project.
Doesn't take much to turn a keg into a keggle you can use for the long term... If you want to know how I've done mine, shoot me a PM...

For the OP, it really does come down to your budget level, if you have tools, and what you're comfortable doing. Kegs (1/2 barrel) are about 15" in diameter and around 24" tall. Not hard to store. Plus, you can put a good amount of fttings, hoses, etc inside when you're NOT brewing. You'll need a couple of power tools, or have friends with them, to do the convert yourself. Or pick one up already done. You can typically get those for less than a brew kettle.

BTW, keggles are about 1.3mm thick stainless.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
micks_homebrewery Likes This 

Quick Reply