Buying 55lb's of 2-Row from Morebeer.Com - How does one weigh this though?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
I dont have any way of weighing how much grain I have.
I plan on making 10 gallon batches.

Anyone know if MoreBeer is the best place to get good 2-Row?:tank:

Damn, typo!

I....must....not........say it......

....control....

..........control...............

...aw forget it ....A SCALE? :D

Acutally the best way would be without a scale is...if you have a bag of grain that is prepackaged already (a 1 lb package) you can empty the contents into a container and then mark the level. You then have an approximate 1 lb grain measure for Barley. I say approximate because the weight is different with every malt pretty much.

Ive never seen any scales or anyone talk about having to spend extra money on a scale thats all.

I bought this bag and after thought about it. Hmm how the heck will I weigh it. I guess Ill try getting a 1 LB bag and then get a good measurement from that. Good idea....:mug:

take your big grain bag to the grocery store along with a bunch of small bags and "borrow" one of their produce scales hehe..

you go with 1 55 lb bag and leave with 11 5lb bags..

problem solved..

you may want to pretend like you are buying some bananas :ban: though so you won't look too suspicious.

glad i could help ;)

ws

Invest in a scale. They aren't THAT MUCH money, and being able to accurately measure what you're making will allow you to both make adjustments to future batches and to duplicate recipes that come out particularly well.

waskelton4 said:
take your big grain bag to the grocery store along with a bunch of small bags and "borrow" one of their produce scales hehe..

you go with 1 55 lb bag and leave with 11 5lb bags..

problem solved..

you may want to pretend like you are buying some bananas :ban: though so you won't look too suspicious.

glad i could help ;)

ws

Somebody is certainly bananas..... :p ;)

I just use my little kitchen scale. It's kind of a pain to weigh out a big batch, but for small amounts it's great. For large amounts, you could use your regular bathroom scale.

You could also do it on a bathroom scale. Weigh yourself, grab a bag with some grain, weigh yourself plus the grains. This is what I do to weigh the dog to be sure he isn't getting too fat.

I have a 1 pound scale, I measured out a pound of marris otter, it is a quart. then just scooped out 24 times and I was good to go.

Why is the shipping weight on a 55-lb sack of malt at morebeer 63 lbs? :confused:

(incidentally, I put a sack of rauchmalt in my cart; it SAYS that UPS Ground is free...)

the_bird said:
Why is the shipping weight on a 55-lb sack of malt at morebeer 63 lbs? :confused:

(incidentally, I put a sack of rauchmalt in my cart; it SAYS that UPS Ground is free...)

Sadly, bird, I think it's an error. I put a sack of every type of grain on p.1 of their bulk grain page into my cart, and it's the oonly one that wasn't flagged "not free shipping". So maybe they'll give it to you out of goodwill...but their regular shipping charges don;t lead me to believe they're running on goodwill.

FWIW, my cart total was $888.54. And UPS Ground shipping was $964.64 :D

Bike N Brew said:
Sadly, bird, I think it's an error. I put a sack of every type of grain on p.1 of their bulk grain page into my cart, and it's the oonly one that wasn't flagged "not free shipping". So maybe they'll give it to you out of goodwill...but their regular shipping charges don;t lead me to believe they're running on goodwill.

FWIW, my cart total was $888.54. And UPS Ground shipping was $964.64 :D

Such a shame... I could make a helluva beer with 55lbs of rauchmalt! Hell, I'd start eating it for breakfast, for lunch...

The two lbs containers from a deli holds 1 lb of grain. So go get your self two lbs of potato salad, eat it and then use the empty container!

With all the associated costs of HBing, the price of a SCALE makes it by far the easiest to purchase!

They (digital scales) are quite cheap anywhere, and can be had for a pittance if you look on E-bay or price shop online.

Latest posts

Back