Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Busted smack pack, now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3522 Times on 3409 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Busted smack pack, now what?

Just smacked the yeast pack for this afternoon's brew and it exploded all over me. I smell funky. Not all of it ejected, so I figure go ahead and use and re-pitch if need be in a few days.

Yes or no?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Talk about a money shot (Sorry Shecky, I couldn't contain myself)

I'd go for it, but have extra yeast on hand.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 10-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Case study: Why to always have dry yeast handy as a backup.

Salvage what you can in a starter, delay brewing until the starter is ready if you can.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post
Case study: Why to always have dry yeast handy as a backup.

Salvage what you can in a starter, delay brewing until the starter is ready if you can.
Looks like I might have to do that as the brewing gods are conspiring against me.

First the yeast. Second part, got mash water from the tap and it's brown with little water pressure. It's a sure indication that the hydrants are being flushed. So, now brewing today.

The next question: how to make a starter with spare DME hanging around. I have a small amount of bottled spring water to make the starter. How do I do it? How long can I sit on it? I don't think I'll be able to get to brewing until a few more days.

Do I have options or should I just chalk it up as a loss and get another pack of yeast (along with some dry) when I'm ready?

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I just boil up 2 cups water and 1/2 cup of DME cool shake and pitch the yeast. Give a good swirl every few hours and let her rip. The starter will be ok for a while at room temp its just a small batch of beer.If it will be a long time before you brew just refrigerate the starter after its done . When your ready to brew just warm it decant the liquid and pitch

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I just boil up 2 cups water and 1/2 cup of DME cool shake and pitch the yeast. Give a good swirl every few hours and let her rip. The starter will be ok for a while at room temp its just a small batch of beer.If it will be a long time before you brew just refrigerate the starter after its done . When your ready to brew just warm it decant the liquid and pitch
Thanks. What's awhile? I maybe could brew in the next couple of days, or it might not be until Friday. I guess if it's too long I could put the starter in the fridge, but how long will that last?

EDIT: Question answered. Thanks muchly.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I have let it sit 2-3 days at room temp never had a problem. It will last a good long time in the frige if proper sanitation is used. I let one sit for 3 weeks in the frige it worked fine.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply