Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Burton Water Profile Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
tcnguru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Burton Water Profile Question

I'm a little confused by the Sulfate level of Burton-on-trent water profile. From what I've read, the average sulfate ppm is 600+. According to the experts, high sulfate levels can create an unpleasant bitterness in finished beer. Quoting John Palmer (RE SULFATE CONCENTRATIONS IN WATER) from How to Brew: "At concentrations over 400 ppm however, the resulting bitterness can become astringent and unpleasant, and at concentrations over 750 ppm, it can cause diarrhea."

How can water with such a high level of sulfate be used to create a quality beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You're a brewer. You alter your water for brewing. Brewers in Burton alter their water to make it more suitable for brewing, too. They're not just using straight well-water with no modification.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply