Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Burner: Bayou SP10, KAB4, or KAB6???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
bh10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby View Post
More powerful than the sp10? I believe the sq14 is 10 psi while the sp10 is 20psi… I read that the psi along with burner size dictates the btu’s. I couldn’t find any info on the btu’s produced with the sq14; sp10 is rated at something like 185,000. The kab4 is something like 210,000. The sq14 looks like it has a bigger burner though.

I have both the sq-14 will get a boil going quicker than the sp10.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
joeldp144
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Bayou Classic SP-1 which is the jet cooker. I have had it since I started AG, and it is incredible. It will boil 5 gallons from 80 F in about 10 minutes. It will bring 5 gallons from the mash tun to a boil in 5 minutes easy. I have never had a problem with scorching either. This burner is awesome and will save time on your boil.

Why is everyone seemingly avoiding the jet cooker?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I bought the jet cooker first. Loved it for ten minutes , then noticed the cheap black paint from it tarred the sides and bottom of my SS pot. Oh well, half my fault I guess. Then after steeping the grains and turning it back on to boil it won't light at the jet and is gushing gas out of the check valve back on the regulator. That damn thing cost me four hours on my first brew day. Thumbs down on the sp-1. Had to go buy a whole new turkey fryer kit.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just started converting my kegs to keggles, and had identified the KAB6 as the best option. I've heard good things about the heating times on several different units, but the siz of the KAB6 is what made my decision for me, as it is 22" wide. Only weakness I've heard is the need for a windscreen, and that's an easy fix.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
joeldp144
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick View Post
I bought the jet cooker first. Loved it for ten minutes , then noticed the cheap black paint from it tarred the sides and bottom of my SS pot. Oh well, half my fault I guess. Then after steeping the grains and turning it back on to boil it won't light at the jet and is gushing gas out of the check valve back on the regulator. That damn thing cost me four hours on my first brew day. Thumbs down on the sp-1. Had to go buy a whole new turkey fryer kit.
Man, I hate to hear that you had problems with yours. The paint definitely does flake off on the first use, but that doesn't affect the performance. The burner absolutely kicks butt, and I have used mine for big crawfish boils as well. I wouldn't even consider another option at this point, but I don't blame you for your opinion given your experience. I just have to believe that yours was faulty. I mean, burners don't fall apart (gushing gas out) on the first use, or else Bayou would be out of business.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought my 10" jet burners on topfoodservice.com they were $25 a piece and man do they heat up quick. I can get to a full boil (10gal) in about 8 min and heat up HLT and Mash Tun in about 15. I even had to take out some tips in the Mash Tun!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #17
repomanz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I own 2 kab4 and 1 sp10 burners. I enjoy them both but they have specific uses. . three biggest issues with the kabx models:

1) kab4 mounting geometery will hold a 15.5 keggle. However you best not bump it OR do what i did. bought a 7.99 grill grate to put on the top of it. I use the grill grate for the sp10 as well.

2) kabx models suffer from wind quite a bit. Unmodified i have to watch this burner all the time. The SP10 puts out 185k btu i believe and works very well in windy conditions.

3) frozen regulator (i've read about this, not experienced it first hand)

short term, i'm going to buy some flashing to put around the collar of the kab4 units to help with wind issues and efficiency. If that doesn't satisfy me I'll end up taking the kab4 units to a welder so he can reduce the height of the burner/surface to 2" (vs the default 4").

If i'm doing a 5 gallon batch, i'll just stick with the sp10. If i'm doing larger boils i'll go for the banjos (assuming there isn't a lot of wind).

both the sp10 and the kab4 are overkill for a 5 gallon batch (in terms of maintaining a boil) and both work great for boiling 12.5 gallons. Personally, i don't' like waiting to boil water or wort so i go with what will get me there faster.

tip: watch craigslist for burners. I picked up 2 kab4 models in good condition for 80 bucks total.

Last edited by repomanz; 07-22-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: craigslist

Old 07-23-2011, 03:34 AM   #18
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldp144

Man, I hate to hear that you had problems with yours. The paint definitely does flake off on the first use, but that doesn't affect the performance. The burner absolutely kicks butt, and I have used mine for big crawfish boils as well. I wouldn't even consider another option at this point, but I don't blame you for your opinion given your experience. I just have to believe that yours was faulty. I mean, burners don't fall apart (gushing gas out) on the first use, or else Bayou would be out of business.
Yeah, it was a bum unit and I know that happens. Seemed like a great design - huge arse Bunsen burner really. But the hose/regulator was garbage and that was the ballgame.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #19
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3211 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
I have both the sq-14 will get a boil going quicker than the sp10.
As they come stock, the SP-10 is 185K BTU, and the SQ-14 is only 55K. I've also used both, and in my experience the SP-10 heats way faster, as the BTU output would suggest. Did you change out the stock 10psi regulator on the SQ-14?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #20
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The sq-14 will blow out if you try to push it. Its an okay burner, but its not a burner that can be modified and will excel. I have one in the shed collecting dust, that seems to be its best feature.

Quick Reply