Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Burner: Bayou SP10, KAB4, or KAB6???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
discooby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Burner: Bayou SP10, KAB4, or KAB6???

Help! I want to increase my AG production from 5 to 10 gal/batch and need to upgrade my burner. First, yes, lots of posts here about burners but none I could find that fits me as I’m using a kettle, not a keggle, and I want to make 10gal, not 5gal.

I’m using a 20” diameter, 15 gal stock-pot; I want to bring to boil, quickly 12+ gallons; I would like to conserve LP as much as possible but am willing to blow through a 20lb tank if it gets it done quickly. I usually use a 20lb LP tank brewing two 5gal batches (maybe enough left over to grill for 1 hr).

I’m stuck between the bayou SP10 (amazon $50), KAB4 (+$30 more) and KAB6 (+$50 more). I’ve read anywhere from 20 min boil times to 1+ hour boil times w/the SP10. I’ve also read 20min to 1+ hour boil times with the KAB’s. I’ve read the KAB’s blow through propane and have bad wind protection. I know the SP10 is 20 psi while the KAB’s use 30psi.

Can a SP10 bring 12+ gallons to boil, say at ambient air temps of 75 degrees, wort temps of 150 degrees, to boil within an hour? What about air temps of 50 degrees? Any thoughts? If the sp10 can do the job then it’s cheaper and more efficient than the KAB’s; but then again, maybe a KAB4 can kick but and boil in half the time…???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
oregonparamedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There's not a whole lot of difference between using a kettle vs a keggle for your boil. I like the SP10 burner personally but I have them mounted to a stand. Read through the other reviews and see what works best for your needs.

Originally Posted by conpewter
That's why it is best to just steal the kegs from little old ladies after they are passed out from their kegger, that way there is no question on if it is "stolen" or not.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I know most keggles have a round bottle; my kettle is flat w/2 layers of SS sandwiched around a thick layer of Al on the bottom. Are you boiling 12+ gallons with your SP10? Whats the avg boil time? What ambient temp? Thanks

Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
oregonparamedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yup. Up to boil in usually 45 min at 60f ish outside. I tend to start the boil with 3 gallons or so sparged and level off the heat once I've finished drawing off of the MLT as the full jet is not needed to maintain the boil.

Originally Posted by conpewter
That's why it is best to just steal the kegs from little old ladies after they are passed out from their kegger, that way there is no question on if it is "stolen" or not.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Id go with option D- SQ14, cheap as the SP10, but more powerful, better on propane consumption and will hold a full keggle with no problem. At least in my case, never tried the KA series though.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I've been using an SP10 with a 15g aluminium kettle for 10g batches that start with 12.5g of wort. I live in Salt Lake and I used this set-up during winter AT NIGHT, maybe 20f outside, and was getting to a boil in 30-45min. Boiling at my altitude happens at 209f, so maybe that makes a difference?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Id go with option D- SQ14, cheap as the SP10, but more powerful, better on propane consumption and will hold a full keggle with no problem. At least in my case, never tried the KA series though.
More powerful than the sp10? I believe the sq14 is 10 psi while the sp10 is 20psi… I read that the psi along with burner size dictates the btu’s. I couldn’t find any info on the btu’s produced with the sq14; sp10 is rated at something like 185,000. The kab4 is something like 210,000. The sq14 looks like it has a bigger burner though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
I've been using an SP10 with a 15g aluminium kettle for 10g batches that start with 12.5g of wort. I live in Salt Lake and I used this set-up during winter AT NIGHT, maybe 20f outside, and was getting to a boil in 30-45min. Boiling at my altitude happens at 209f, so maybe that makes a difference?
I jumped the gun and purchased the kab4 on amazon. It’s strange how some sp10 users take 40-60 min to boil 6.5 gal while others can boil 12.5g in 30+. Maybe the pots being used since aluminum is more conductive than SS..

Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby View Post
I jumped the gun and purchased the kab4 on amazon. It’s strange how some sp10 users take 40-60 min to boil 6.5 gal while others can boil 12.5g in 30+. Maybe the pots being used since aluminum is more conductive than SS..
Well I've just added a KB4 and I'm going to brew today. The SQ10 will be on the HLT and to KB4 on the boil kettle, so I'll give my impressions.

A small disclaimer, though. I never timed how long it took me to get to a boil. When I had the single burner I would heat the HLT, transfer to the MT then drain into the BK which was sitting on the ground. Then I'd transfer the sparge water (batch sparge) to the MT and when I was finished with the HLT I'd put the BK on the burner and start heating it before I collected all the runnings. So, I wasn't starting with cold water. I never felt like the burner wasn't doing its job and don't remember waiting an hour or more for the boil to start, but maybe I was busy enough and was RDWHAHBing enough that I just didn't really notice.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, the KB4 puts out MUCH more heat than the SP10. You already knew that, but after comparing the two side-by-side I'll tell you, the difference is huge. The KB4 was putting out almost too much heat. I had to turn it almost all the way down and still got a very strong boil.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
Dean Palmer
Recipes 

I own a SQ-14, KAB4, KAB5, and KAB6.

The KAB6 has been my favorite, and I use large kettles and also keg kettles, and use them for cooking as well as brewing. The KAB6 has a larger heat output than any of the other KAB models. I think that is only due to the air vent, regulator, and possibly orifice differences, but it is the best. While being the hottest, it can also be turned down to a tiny simmer like the other banjo burners. My only modification had to be to add a wind shield from scrap tin as the pot is located much higher above the burners than the others.

The frame of the KAB6 holds keg kettles best, where the others have the rim on the edge and not really safe without modifications. For regular pots that is not an issue with any of them. The KAB6 holds really big wide pots perfectly.

The other KAB banjo models work great too, so you can't really go wrong for brewing.

Dean

www.TheBeerJournals.com

Quick Reply