Bulk Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200ibus

Reaction score
I've been searching and searching for bulk grain purchasing advise, and most of the threads I find are out-dated. Does anybody have any advice in purchasing bulk grains? If need be, I can purchase a few hundred pounds to get the price down.

Thanks!

1. Check your local homebrew store and ask if they will sell you full bags of grain at a discount. Mine does.

2. Check with a local homebrew club and see if they do any group buys from suppliers like MidCountry Malts.

3. Tell us here at HBT where you live and see if there are any group buys here that you can participate in.

4. Check with local breweries to see if you can purchase base malts from them.

5. Check out online vendors to see if you can find a good deal - your location will matter a lot, because of the shipping costs for 55 lb bags of grain.

Hope this helps!

What do you want to know? You don't list what state or region you're in, but many of the sub groups on here (like those of is in S.E. michigan do a twice yearly bulk grain buy.)

Also at your local clubs to see if there's a group buy. There an issue that grain companies are no longer selling to individuals and groups, the LHBS lobby pressured them to stop the practice since it cuts out the middle men...but established groups are grandfathered in...

Only established customers can still buy for them, and there are stipulations. The michigan masher's group on here does 2 bulk buys a year, but from now on ONLY the two guys who ordered for us in the past few years, who's names are on the account can order for us, AND we must place at least one order a year by the end of Jan. or we will be taken off the "preferred customers" list and will never be able to buy from them again. I think the retailers felt we were undercutting their profits too much and lobbied the wholesalers to stop selling to us. So if you want to buy bulk you have to find an established group doing a buy, like a club or the subgroups on here, and get in through there. There will be no new bulk buys being setup..

The michigan masher's group on here does 2 bulk buys a year, but from now on ONLY the two guys who ordered for us in the past few years, who's names are on the account can order for us, AND we must place at least one order a year by the end of Jan. or we will be taken off the "preferred customers" list and will never be able to buy from them again. I think the retailers felt we were undercutting their profits too much and lobbied the wholesalers to stop selling to us. So if you want to buy bulk you have to find an established group doing a buy, like a club or the subgroups on here, and get in through there. There will be no new bulk buys being setup....

Basically all of the malsters are one main group, mid county iirc. This is the notice they are all saying.
Our Craft Brewery customers and Homebrew Store Retailers are encouraged to contact us for additional product and pricing information by calling our distribution location that is nearest you.

Homebrewers, please be sure to ask for our products at your local homebrew supply store or your preferred on-line store.

Thank you for visiting our site. We’ll look forward to servicing your needs.
The County Malt Group

Teri Fahrendorf to Bagged, me
show details 6:33 PM (2 minutes ago)
Dear Fletcher,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately our western warehouse system is not capable of handling sales to homebrewers. We recommend you ask your largest local homebrew store if they offer a full-bag discount. Best wishes for homebrewing success.

Cheers,

Teri Fahrendorf
Specialty Malt Account Manager, Country Malt / Great Western Malting
►We're evolving! Country Malt is the Warehouse, Distribution and Sales arm of Great Western Malting Co.
Sales Desk: 800-496-7732 (Jo Heidlebaugh)
Teri's Cell: 360-356-5599

However, we appreciate the continued business our loyal homebrew customers have given us. With that being said we intend to continue to make our current product line available to our current home brew accounts but we will not be accepting new home brew customers. Homebrew customers who have done business with North Country Malt Supply and Mid Country Malt Supply over the past 12 months can place orders by calling our toll free number (NC: 888-368-5571 - MC: 866-428-1438) or by e-mailing: [email protected].

Thank you for your continued support.

Kelly J. Kuehl - Director of Sales
The Country Malt Group

So unless that policy has changed, you'll need to find an established one. Listing your location would help us find them for you.

1. Check your local homebrew store and ask if they will sell you full bags of grain at a discount. Mine does.

2. Check with a local homebrew club and see if they do any group buys from suppliers like MidCountry Malts.

3. Tell us here at HBT where you live and see if there are any group buys here that you can participate in.

4. Check with local breweries to see if you can purchase base malts from them.

5. Check out online vendors to see if you can find a good deal - your location will matter a lot, because of the shipping costs for 55 lb bags of grain.

Hope this helps!

Yes it does. Gives me a bit of homework, thanks!

Back