Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bulk grain storage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #71
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er

Yep. Home Depot/Menards buckets are HDPE 2. Same as ale pails. That's why I've fermented in them, run off wort in them, etc.
HDPE #2 does not mean it is food safe.

I am not trying to get in a pissing contest with anyone, you can do whatever you want. Just because you've done it and it didn't taste weird doesn't mean there aren't long term effects with prolonged exposure.

Google is your friend, do some research about the use of recycled plastics. One issue is that the sourcing is frequently unknown.

To me, I don't understand the never ending threads where people talk about using orange homer buckets when you can get known good stuff for LESS money.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #72
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The buckets I have seen don't have the rubber gasket like the HD buckets do which is why many people like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
To me, I don't understand the never ending threads where people talk about using orange homer buckets when you can get known good stuff for LESS money.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #73
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Because people already have Homer buckets and want to convince themselves they're safe. That's my guess at least. Or, we frequent HD far more than Walmart, so HomerBuckets are "easier" to pick up.

I've seen enough dissenting, or at least questionable, information on them to avoid them for food usage.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #74
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Where on Earth can one source a 5g bucket for LESS than $2.50 each?

I paid $31 for two ale pails shipped to me with lids and airlocks and that beat LHBS by almost $10...I've looked. Can't find new food-grade buckets anywhere close to 5g home improvement pails. I may ask the bakeries for frosting buckets, but again, not new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #75
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

HD sells white food grade 5 gal buckets

Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #76
Double-R
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
Lowes also..And the ones up here have a big round sticker saying they are.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #77
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14
Yeah, we have those in Canada too but I wasn't sure about the US.

Either way, I can't imagine it really mattering for dry grain storage unless the plastic is emitting serious VOCs, which you should be able to detect.

For storing a wet (and acidic, at that) food product like wort or beer though, I'd be a bit more careful.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #78
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl63 View Post
Also at the same time, you are buying grain to brew not to store. If people are having problems, buckets are around $4.00 with a lid, also what might not fit from a bag in 2 buckets would probably less than a 5 gallon batch of Brew.
Duh how could I not think about it this way. The bags stay sealed until I need to use that grain, then into the buckets it goes.
Also checked out home depot today and it is about half the price

Old 06-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #79
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl63 View Post
The buckets I have seen don't have the rubber gasket like the HD buckets do which is why many people like them.
So, buy the LID at HD, it's not touching the grain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Where on Earth can one source a 5g bucket for LESS than $2.50 each?

I paid $31 for two ale pails shipped to me with lids and airlocks and that beat LHBS by almost $10...I've looked. Can't find new food-grade buckets anywhere close to 5g home improvement pails. I may ask the bakeries for frosting buckets, but again, not new.
Walmart sells WHITE paint buckets, Encore plastics is the manufacturer, for $2.97. Not quite $2.50, but close enough. Here's a link to a discussion on them: http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/fo...ckets-walmart/. I just looked, and my HD sells the Orange homer bucket for $2.60, so now we are talking .37 more for a known good bucket.

Again, I've gotten most of my buckets from a local food co-op, for $.76 (+ tax) each. That's a lot cheaper than the HOMER buckets (but like you say, they are "used").
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
Yes, and these cost MORE. Looking at the HD site for my store, it shows the leaktite white buckets costing $3.98 each.

Again, you can also store in the bag, or get mylar (or similar) food-grade linings.

I'm not a big survivor nut, but looking at some of those online groups does educate you on food storage. Just sayin.

But to those using homer buckets, have fun...just don't trade beers with me.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #80
lou2row

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSally View Post
I use 30 gallon open top steel drums I get from work.I store mine in the basement and my wife is paranoid about mice so, I need airtight nonchewable containers.
Also I can get a 50# sack and my mill and accessories inside.
I have my grain in the same type from work. Mine have a cam lock lid with seal. I keep the grains in bags though, as the barrels held potassium permanganate. They are cleaned, but still easier to just grab the bags and pour.

Quick Reply