Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bulk grain storage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
dannedry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use the cheap 5 gallon buckets and lids from Menards, and have had no problems with them in 2 years of brewing. I stack them in my basement. Specialty grain I keep in ziplock bags in the freezer with my hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck99 View Post
Is the trash can airtight though? Or does that matter?

I'm just getting into AG (2 batches under my belt now), after 6 months of extract brewing. I'm looking into buying grain in bulk and a mill. Just need to figure out what I'm storing it in and what I should buy in bulk. I figured I'll map out a few recipes for the rest of the year and go off that. I was considering using Homer buckets for the grains...
Been doing this for years without issue. However, I live in a dry climate. If you live in humidity, you may want a better seal. I've been through 10's of 50 pound bags without even a bug in there as far as I can tell and grain hasn't gotten stale, bug infested or mice eating it (I have a lot of mice in my garage as evidenced by all the traps I get filled). That said, I brew alot. Usually every Saturday. So I go through grain fairly fast.
On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 06-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #23
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Cool thanks for the feedback. I love in a less than dry climate, but my basement is always dry as a bone. I'll probably use homer buckets. Seems to be a practical way to go.

Primary: None
Secondary: Rasputin's Beard, KBBA Clone
Kegged: Sam Adams Scotch Ale Clone, Irish Car Bomb Stout, Cream Ale
Bottled: None

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #24
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck99
Cool thanks for the feedback. I love in a less than dry climate, but my basement is always dry as a bone. I'll probably use homer buckets. Seems to be a practical way to go.
Look into Gamma seal lids for your homer buckets if you want something good and cheap. They're stronger (more durable AND allow for better stacking than the regular foam-gasket lids), and *totally* airtight.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #25
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Dome hepot carry those?

Primary: None
Secondary: Rasputin's Beard, KBBA Clone
Kegged: Sam Adams Scotch Ale Clone, Irish Car Bomb Stout, Cream Ale
Bottled: None

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Old 06-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #26
EternalHoppiness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

My HD does. I think they are about $6/each for the Gamma lids. . .

Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #27
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck99
Dome hepot carry those?
My HD doesn't, but it's in Canada. I bought mine off Amazon. Your HD probably does though, since this guy says his does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalHoppiness
My HD does. I think they are about $6/each for the Gamma lids. . .
That's what I paid for mine. Compared to the non-standalone Gamma seal lid (ie Vittles Vault), $6 each is peanuts, though I think most places sell them for twice that (~$12). But hell, I'd pay $15-20, easy, if that's the only option I had. I just don't want people thinking they're getting ripped off paying more than $6, though they should be aware that they might be able to find them that cheap.

The lids come in 2 pieces:

1) An outer ring which gets affixed (rather permanently) and seals to the rim of the bucket... you need something like a rubber mallet to install it, unless you do like I did and JUMP on the upside-down bucket and let the ground do the mallets job.

2) The inner "lid" which seals to the outer ring. It closes with a screwing motion, twisting it clockwise into the ring. And obviously, the lid is taken off by "unscrewing" it. This also makes it a heck of a lot easier to open than a typical bucket lid... not killing my hands every time I want to take the lid off is worth the price alone!

Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
b-boy
16%er
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 496 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I've been paying about $10 each for the Gamma lids. That includes shipping. They are fantastic. There are places that will sell them for less if you buy in bulk.

A somewhat related question:

I have a garage and a basement to store my grain in. I use the gamma lids and lowes buckets.

The finished basement is cool and somewhat damp. I run a dehumidifier down there.

The garage is dryer, but has large tempurature swings.

Which is better?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I would say more dry is better. If you have to run a dehumidifier, then you know it's humid. Temp swings don't seem to affect unmilled grain in my experience as my garage is not well insulated so it swings quite a bit.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy
I've been paying about $10 each for the Gamma lids. That includes shipping. They are fantastic. There are places that will sell them for less if you buy in bulk.

A somewhat related question:

I have a garage and a basement to store my grain in. I use the gamma lids and lowes buckets.

The finished basement is cool and somewhat damp. I run a dehumidifier down there.

The garage is dryer, but has large tempurature swings.

Which is better?
If you use the Gamma seal lids, humidity isn't much of an issue... unlike the standard bucket lids, they actually ARE airtight. I'm not sure how hot it has to get before temps become an issue, but I think it should be fine as long as it doesn't denature the enzymes, and that happens at 160-170°. So really, just choose whatever is most convenient for you.

Quick Reply