The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bulk Grain Purchasing - Online Vendors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
fugazzi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bulk Grain Purchasing - Online Vendors

I've been buying 55# bags of base grain from LHBS ever since I switched to all grain. It costs around $65 for a 55# bag of Pale Ale Malt, or around $1.18 per LB.

I was wondering who people are using for online bulk grain purchasing. My LHBS isn't really a brew store, and there are no other suppliers within a reasonable drive from where I am (Columbia, MO). Also, they only sell Pale Ale, Wheat and Pilsner, and I would like to branch out and try some Vienna or Maris Otter.

I've been looking at the stickied post of recommended online suppliers, and the prices still seem high, and the available combination of amount (40#, 50#, 55#) and shipping cost ($8-$50) seems to vary wildly. I've also tried searching, and I keep getting the same few bulk grain threads from years ago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We are getting a bulk order from MO Malt Supply in STL at the end of the month. Go here for details. We'd love to have you in on the buy. And the crappy hippy store (aka LHBS) is wayyy overpriced on everything!

http://grou.ps/columbiabeerenthusiasts/talks/5260780

Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you have any local breweries? That's where I get my base grains from, and my specialty I get from BMW, but it is local to me, so no shipping.

AustinHomeBrew.com has a good grain selection, and pricing similar to what you are paying already. Spend $100 and shipping is free, or 7.99 flat rate. Last I asked that applied to bulk grain as well. If you can get in on a bulk buy, or find a local brewery willing to sell to you, this may be your best option.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
fugazzi
Recipes 

Hah, I wish, the only 'brew store' in town is labeled as "The largest bead store in the state" http://www.discoverourtown.com/MO/Co...ing/77002.html.

We have 2 breweries in town, I'll have to cal them up.

Edit: removed misquote.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
fugazzi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
We are getting a bulk order from MO Malt Supply in STL at the end of the month. Go here for details. We'd love to have you in on the buy. And the crappy hippy store (aka LHBS) is wayyy overpriced on everything!

http://grou.ps/columbiabeerenthusiasts/talks/5260780
I'd love to participate. Do you have more details on pricing or what's available? I can't seem to find that info in that thread.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pm me with your email and I'll send you the bulk grain buy price sheet. Rahr 2row is $28 a sack. MO is probably about $50. You can get all kinds of specialty malts and hops as well, even yeast. Nobody in Missouri, will beat MO Malt supply prices and the owner is great to work with.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
fugazzi
Recipes 

Sweet, pm sent. I signed up to the como group forum as well, thanks for the info.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great, man! Good to have you on there! Email sent to you re price sheet.

Quick Reply