Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bulk Grain Price

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
ColbyPants
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thats only about an hour south of me, Hmmmm. . . .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #22
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wooster
jkhjkhbkjkj

Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #23
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Pol wins thread. IMO, if you want a good 'baseline' to go from, Midwest Supplies always seems to have good malt prices. A 55# sack of Crisp Maris Otter is usually ~$60, about the same for Weyermann Pils (I always seem to get sucked into buying premium European malt). If you can do better than Midwest you're doing just fine.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #24
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Pol wins thread. IMO, if you want a good 'baseline' to go from, Midwest Supplies always seems to have good malt prices. A 55# sack of Crisp Maris Otter is usually ~$60, about the same for Weyermann Pils (I always seem to get sucked into buying premium European malt). If you can do better than Midwest you're doing just fine.
Me an pol went with all imported malts - even the 2-row which ended up being canadian($27). German pils, munich & vienna ~$35 MO was like $40. This are single sack(25kg) prices.. no bulk purchase.

However my local club is ordering a palate or two here this next month, so I'll tell you how cheap grain can really get. I mean how much can they discount a $27 sack of 2-row? I don't even need the grain.

Pol, need more grain ?

Old 09-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #25
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
Me an pol went with all imported malts - even the 2-row which ended up being canadian($27). German pils, munich & vienna ~$35 MO was like $40. This are single sack(25kg) prices.. no bulk purchase.

However my local club is ordering a palate or two here this next month, so I'll tell you how cheap grain can really get. I mean how much can they discount a $27 sack of 2-row? I don't even need the grain.

Pol, need more grain ?
You know...

I am going to be getting out of the pale 2-row thing I think, I may go all MO and Pils. Since I can get them both for under $.75/pound, why not right? In that case, Id need more Pils and MO

Paying $60 a sack for Briess is like being gang raped, that blows my mind! That is like buying an '85 Chevette for $10k and being told it is wholesale

Last edited by The Pol; 09-18-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #26
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
You know...

I am going to be getting out of the pale 2-row thing I think, I may go all MO and Pils. Since I can get them both for under $.75/pound, why not right? In that case, Id need more Pils and MO

Paying $60 a sack for Briess is like being gang raped, that blows my mind!
Ah, I just found the 'Download Catalogue', link. I think Pol mentioned this (or maybe North CM) before but I didn't see prices listed. Dayum that's good prices. Now I'm prob gonna order some malt I don't even need.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 09-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #27
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Ah, I just found the 'Download Catalogue', link. I think Pol mentioned this (or maybe North CM) before but I didn't see prices listed. Dayum that's good prices. Now I'm prob gonna order some malt I don't even need.
Yeah, I have that catalogue PDF... it is pretty amazing. I think the 2-Row Canadain malt is different, that is now down to $27 a sack. The other prices are pretty much the same.

Z987K and I made a killing over there! I averaged $.61/pound on 173 pounds of malt, free delivery for us.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #28
z987k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
You know...

Paying $60 a sack for Briess is like being gang raped, that blows my mind! That is like buying an '85 Chevette for $10k and being told it is wholesale
Yeah, I need more MO. I don't know what we were thinking splitting a sack. We both needed at least one.

Still haven't tasted a beer from the pils as everything I have made aside from a bitter has been a lager.

But yeah anything above $30 for american 2-row is just a massive rip. But I think it has more to do with LD Carlson than the homebrewshop owners(as I think I mentioned in another thread) to be honest. I talked to the guy who owns the lhbs here, and he cannot get breiss 2-row for $27 a sack let alone a higher quality malt.

Also, it might be worth picking up a sack of the franco-belges pils as it is supposed to be a Moravian barley grown over in eastern Europe and malted like Bohemian Pils(undermodified)

Last edited by z987k; 09-18-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #29
z987k

Recipes 

here's the exact prices we paid from mid-country. All 25kg sacks (~55lbs)

2060 Canadia 2-row - 27.56
HT101 Marris Otter - 40.24
B101 German Pils - 34.73
B201 German Munich - 35.83
B301 German Vienna - 35.83
B601 German Wheat - 36.94

Last edited by z987k; 09-18-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #30
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My lhbs sells briess for 1.79 a pound, I'm afraid to ask how much a full sack is. If I could find more brewers in my area I'd set up a bulk order, but haven't found any around here yet

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Quick Reply