Bulk Grain Price

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I was just quoted $44.50 for a 50 pound bag of 2 Row Pale Malt from my local HBS. I'm curious what others are paying for the same.

$27 for 55 pounds of imported 2-Row from MidCountry Malt.... one sack price, not pallet.

$35 for 55 pounds of imported Pilsner, Wheat, Munich, Vienna etc... one sack price, not pallet.

$40 for 55 pounds of MO... ditto

this is a pretty subjective question. It matters a lot what kind of base malt you are getting. For example, you will almost always pay more for a sack of Marris Otter than you will for a sack of Rahr.

this is a pretty subjective question. It matters a lot what kind of base malt you are getting. For example, you will almost always pay more for a sack of Marris Otter than you will for a sack of Rahr.

True true... about 30% more for MO

$33 50# Great Western 2 Row Or Pale Malt
picked up from Brew Brothers - near Portland

Pol wins thread.:D IMO, if you want a good 'baseline' to go from, Midwest Supplies always seems to have good malt prices. A 55# sack of Crisp Maris Otter is usually ~$60, about the same for Weyermann Pils (I always seem to get sucked into buying premium European malt). If you can do better than Midwest you're doing just fine.

Pol wins thread.:D IMO, if you want a good 'baseline' to go from, Midwest Supplies always seems to have good malt prices. A 55# sack of Crisp Maris Otter is usually ~$60, about the same for Weyermann Pils (I always seem to get sucked into buying premium European malt). If you can do better than Midwest you're doing just fine.

Me an pol went with all imported malts - even the 2-row which ended up being canadian($27). German pils, munich & vienna ~$35 MO was like $40. This are single sack(25kg) prices.. no bulk purchase.

However my local club is ordering a palate or two here this next month, so I'll tell you how cheap grain can really get. I mean how much can they discount a $27 sack of 2-row? I don't even need the grain.

Pol, need more grain ;)?

Me an pol went with all imported malts - even the 2-row which ended up being canadian($27). German pils, munich & vienna ~$35 MO was like $40. This are single sack(25kg) prices.. no bulk purchase.

However my local club is ordering a palate or two here this next month, so I'll tell you how cheap grain can really get. I mean how much can they discount a $27 sack of 2-row? I don't even need the grain.

Pol, need more grain ;)?

You know...

I am going to be getting out of the pale 2-row thing I think, I may go all MO and Pils. Since I can get them both for under $.75/pound, why not right? In that case, Id need more Pils and MO

Paying $60 a sack for Briess is like being gang raped, that blows my mind! That is like buying an '85 Chevette for $10k and being told it is wholesale

You know...

I am going to be getting out of the pale 2-row thing I think, I may go all MO and Pils. Since I can get them both for under $.75/pound, why not right? In that case, Id need more Pils and MO

Paying $60 a sack for Briess is like being gang raped, that blows my mind!
Ah, I just found the 'Download Catalogue', link. I think Pol mentioned this (or maybe North CM) before but I didn't see prices listed. Dayum that's good prices. Now I'm prob gonna order some malt I don't even need.

Ah, I just found the 'Download Catalogue', link. I think Pol mentioned this (or maybe North CM) before but I didn't see prices listed. Dayum that's good prices. Now I'm prob gonna order some malt I don't even need.

Yeah, I have that catalogue PDF... it is pretty amazing. I think the 2-Row Canadain malt is different, that is now down to $27 a sack. The other prices are pretty much the same.

Z987K and I made a killing over there! I averaged $.61/pound on 173 pounds of malt, free delivery for us.

You know...

Paying $60 a sack for Briess is like being gang raped, that blows my mind! That is like buying an '85 Chevette for $10k and being told it is wholesale

Yeah, I need more MO. I don't know what we were thinking splitting a sack. We both needed at least one.

Still haven't tasted a beer from the pils as everything I have made aside from a bitter has been a lager.

But yeah anything above $30 for american 2-row is just a massive rip. But I think it has more to do with LD Carlson than the homebrewshop owners(as I think I mentioned in another thread) to be honest. I talked to the guy who owns the lhbs here, and he cannot get breiss 2-row for $27 a sack let alone a higher quality malt.

Also, it might be worth picking up a sack of the franco-belges pils as it is supposed to be a Moravian barley grown over in eastern Europe and malted like Bohemian Pils(undermodified)

here's the exact prices we paid from mid-country. All 25kg sacks (~55lbs)

2060 Canadia 2-row - 27.56
HT101 Marris Otter - 40.24
B101 German Pils - 34.73
B201 German Munich - 35.83
B301 German Vienna - 35.83
B601 German Wheat - 36.94

My lhbs sells briess for 1.79 a pound, I'm afraid to ask how much a full sack is. If I could find more brewers in my area I'd set up a bulk order, but haven't found any around here yet

On the LD Carlson thing... why do LHBS buy from them?

It escapes me that somone running a business would be paying MORE for thier stock, than I do for my own personal use.

Our LHBS sells crystal malts for OVER $2 per pound, I can get a 55# sack of crystal 40 for $46.

Yeah, when buying bulk, you can get quality malt for about 75% less than you are paying for Briess.

I feel dirty every time I walk out of there and have been buying less and less. Been thinking they might need a little competition in town.

I could buy sacks from MidCountry, mark it up 100%, and still undercut the LHBS in Indy.

My lhbs sells briess for 1.79 a pound, I'm afraid to ask how much a full sack is. If I could find more brewers in my area I'd set up a bulk order, but haven't found any around here yet

The malting co-op that does North Counrty(east coast) Midcountry(Midwest) canada(Vancouver), Great Western(West) all carry the same malts afaik. The prices should be the same if not very similar. There's facilities in Los Angeles and Union City, CA if that helps. You can go and pick up anywhere from 1 to 1million sacks, but not less than 1 25kg sack.

In fact people might like to know they are in
Champlain, NY,
Toronto, ON,
Thunder Bay, ON,
Motreal, QC,
Atlanta, GA,
Chicago, IL,
New Orleans, LA,
Denver, CO,
Pocatello, ID,
Calgary, AB,
Niobe, AB,
Vancouver, BC,
Vancouver, WA,
Union City, CA,
Los Angeles, CA

They can also ship up to a 2000lb palate for about $60 in state... er that's what the guy I talked to said when I went and picked everything up.

It escapes me that someone running a business would be paying MORE for thier stock, than I do for my own personal use.

Our LHBS sells crystal malts for OVER $2 per pound, I can get a 55# sack of crystal 40 for $46.

Because I think LDC thinks they have a monopoly on the homebrew market and can charge whatever they want. Plus they carry more than grain. They carry white labs, Danstar and then carboys and ale pales and all the other equipment to.

I'll ask what the price the hbs pays for a sack of 2-row next time I'm in to see where it's all coming from.

Because I think LDC thinks they have a monopoly on the homebrew market and can charge whatever they want. Plus they carry more than grain. They carry white labs, Danstar and then carboys and ale pales and all the other equipment to.

I'll ask what the price the hbs pays for a sack of 2-row next time I'm in to see where it's all coming from.

I think they need some competition, as well as some LHBS that are out there operating in a vacuum. They need game.

It escapes me that somone running a business would be paying MORE for thier stock, than I do for my own personal use.

A lot of businesses are stuck in 20 years ago. They buy from one wholesaler for all their goods and can't be bothered to deal with it. It'll put them out of business eventually.

I used to make this argument with one of the Reef shops I frequented about aquarium pumps. They were paying like $60 a piece for a pump and selling it for $90, when I could buy them, shipped for like $45. My question was, why the hell aren't you buying them from the same place I am? The answer was always "because I buy everything from my wholesaler"

Back