Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bulk Grain Inventory Question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
DSV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 36
Default Bulk Grain Inventory Question

Greetings,

I just started buying bulk grain, which brought the question of what should I keep in stock? So what do y'all keep on hand? I'm thinking of stocking bulk bags of 2-Row and Marris Otter and walking over to austin homebrew for the minor components. What do you consider "must haves" in the inventory?

__________________
DSV is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Ryan_PA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Philly, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,913
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Kinda silly to have both 2 row and MO if you ask me, but others will disagree I am sure. I keep MO and Munich in bulk, plus a healthy stocking of Pils.

__________________
Ryan_PA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,968
Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I keep the following on hand.

2 row Pale
2 row Pils
Wheat
Vienna
German Caramel Malt Light (15L)

I buy all my specialty grains from Austin Homebrew Supply and keep a few pounds of those on hand as well as a supply of hops & dry yeasts. That way, I can brew whenever I feel like it.

EdWort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,150
Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Default

MO - Full sacks
Pils - Full sacks

Munich & Vienna - half sacks
Flaked Wheat - half sacks
Wheat Malt - 20#
Flaked Corn - 20#

Crystal #10, 40, 60, 120 - 10# each
Pale Chocolate - 10#
Rye Malt - 10#
Carapils - 10#
Roasted Barley - 10#
Flaked Barley - 20#

That's a sampling of what I keep, but it should let you brew pretty much any style you like.

BierMuncher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,739
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
MO - Full sacks
Pils - Full sacks

Munich & Vienna - half sacks
Flaked Wheat - half sacks
Wheat Malt - 20#
Flaked Corn - 20#

Crystal #10, 40, 60, 120 - 10# each
Pale Chocolate - 10#
Rye Malt - 10#
Carapils - 10#
Roasted Barley - 10#
Flaked Barley - 20#

That's a sampling of what I keep, but it should let you brew pretty much any style you like.
That covers most things right there!
__________________
brewt00l is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
tnlandsailor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tnlandsailor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 525
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default

I've noticed that sometimes the LHBS stock of specialty grains is pretty iffy - both selection wise and quality wise (at least here in Knoxville). You can vacuum seal your specialty grains and get quite a shelf life out of them. I've had some flaked corn in Food Saver bags on hand for a couple of years now and it has worked out quite well.

Prosit!

__________________

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

tnlandsailor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
DSV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 36
Default

Nice suggestion tnlandsailor. I vacuum seal my hops but had not thought to do it with grains. I'm going to need a bigger freezer... Thanks for the answers so far. This is exactly what I was looking for. Muchos gracias!

__________________
DSV is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,968
Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor View Post
I've noticed that sometimes the LHBS stock of specialty grains is pretty iffy - both selection wise and quality wise (at least here in Knoxville). You can vacuum seal your specialty grains and get quite a shelf life out of them. I've had some flaked corn in Food Saver bags on hand for a couple of years now and it has worked out quite well.

Prosit!
+1 on the Food Saver. I've made great beer with malt that I have had for over a year.

__________________

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

EdWort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 871
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSV View Post
Greetings,

I just started buying bulk grain, which brought the question of what should I keep in stock? So what do y'all keep on hand? I'm thinking of stocking bulk bags of 2-Row and Marris Otter and walking over to austin homebrew for the minor components. What do you consider "must haves" in the inventory?
My own inventory based on all the different brews I make.

Ger Pils
Ger Munich
Ger Wheat

M.O. Pale Ale

If you can split bags of specialty grains with other brewers it makes buying them in bulk feasible. Otherwise I would buy the Spec at the LHBS.

I store all my grains in food grade 55 gal drums that have a tight sealing lid. You can keeps grains uncrushed for at least a year this way.
__________________
Warrior is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,198
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I keep the following on hand.

2 row Pale
2 row Pils
Wheat
Vienna
German Caramel Malt Light (15L)

I buy all my specialty grains from Austin Homebrew Supply and keep a few pounds of those on hand as well as a supply of hops & dry yeasts. That way, I can brew whenever I feel like it.
That's pretty much what I keep on hand (sans Malt light). I do try to keep a sack of Munich around though.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.
zoebisch01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grain mill and bulk grain or kegging system? RayInUT Equipment/Sanitation 55 04-14-2010 03:13 PM
MD Bulk grain buy! claphamsa Maryland HomeBrew Forum 153 05-07-2009 08:44 PM
Foodsaver and bulk grain question: bad coffee All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 04-27-2009 08:19 PM
Beertools-pre boil gravity and inventory question schristian619 Brewing Software 1 02-18-2009 04:43 PM
Beersmith Inventory Question apparatus Brewing Software 3 12-07-2008 11:20 PM