Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bulk Grain, best prices!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Default Bulk Grain, best prices!

Where are they! Looks like my LHBS would be my best bet, shipping is as much as the grain itself. I am in the Indiana area!

Last edited by The Pol; 10-03-2007 at 12:30 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
shipping is as much as the grain itself.
Yeah, no kidding. Therefore it should come as no surprise that you should indicate where in the country you're located, so people can recommend closer places so shipping doesn't kill you. :P

I was very happy with my order from north country malt in New York, but I'm located just a few states from them so shipping was fair, and could be much worse if you're on the other end of the country.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default LHBS best bet

My LHBS, which also happens to be a microbrewery, has the best prices of bulk grain I've seen. 50# for $32 is pretty darn good. They're prices are better than other LHBS's since they're also a brewery and order large pallets and only slightly markup the product.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You just gotta compare. After all was said and done and shipping was factored in, the cheapest place that had the grains I wanted was Midwest...so that's who I order from. AHS's flat shipping rate didn't apply to the big sacks of grain, so that screwed them out of my $$.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I got 55# of MO and Vienna at one local brewpub for $25 (total). That's highly unlikely but everyone should at least ask to piggyback their local brewpubs orders...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 10-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #6
D*Bo
Recipes 

Support the local guy, unless of course he is a douche.

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 AM   #7
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

My LHBS is small and most people in my area are extract brewers. SO when he places big orders he lets me know. Shipping on a crate of grain is way cheaper than a single bag, so I get 50-55lbs for about $40 of pils, 2-row, marris otter or whatever.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775
My LHBS, which also happens to be a microbrewery, has the best prices of bulk grain I've seen. 50# for $32 is pretty darn good. They're prices are better than other LHBS's since they're also a brewery and order large pallets and only slightly markup the product.
hey srm775, which brewery is this? i just taught my dad how to brew and he lives in aurora. i'm not sure how happy he is with the LHBS in aurora, he's complained about the weird hours and inconsistent advice. PM me if you'd like.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:36 AM   #9
biggerk
Recipes 

Default Ask your local microbrew or LHBS for a whole bag.

I'm probably repeating here, but I asked the brewer at a local microbrew (Artic Craftbrew in Colorado Springs) and he had no problem ordering an extra 50# bag and sold it to me at cost. (you just have to make sure to buy a couple of pints for his efforts!)

I also bought a full bag from my LHBS. (Long story, but I ordered one, it came late, sop I bought from the other guy, but I felt obligated to buy the bag when it did come in...)

My advice is to stick to buying a big bag of base-malt, like American 2-row barely, English 2-row or pale malt. Buy any specialty grains from the LHBS when you brew.

My first all-grain was just very basic beer: 8.5lbs barely malt, water, hops and yeast. Nuthin' special and nothing I would get upset about if it went bad. Turned out pretty good, and I've brewed that several times. (Added 0.5 lbs of wheat malt for head retention, played around with hops and yeasts.)

BUT, be sure to store the grain in a cool, dry place. I wouldn't recommend keeping it in the grain bag once its opened. I put the grain in food grade plastic buckets with TIGHT FITTING lids. (Get them from the bakery; cake frosting comes in those. I used extra buckets to build my mash/lauter and sparge tun.)

Also (jeesh, will he shut-up already?!?!) resist the urge to mill all the grain at once. Its ends up drying out. I did that and it may have affected the efficiency of the mash. I now keep all my grain, unground, and take a bucket with me to the LHBS, buy my hops, yeast and any specialty grains, and have them weight out what I need and mill it.!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerk
...I also bought a full bag from my LHBS. (Long story, but I ordered one, it came late, sop I bought from the other guy, but I felt obligated to buy the bag when it did come in...)
That was nice of you. I know my LHBS had to order the same grain 4 times before the wholesaler had it in stock and actually shipped a bag.

Quick Reply