The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Building My Mash Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #21
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnurse
Now I have got to work on that manifold......where is my torch!
I strongly suggest you don't sweat those pipes. After all you are building something that is supposed to leak. And when it comes to cleaning...it's nice to just knock the plumbing apart, rinse and reassemble.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 01:29 AM   #22
Brewnurse

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalvinEddie
I strongly suggest you don't sweat those pipes. After all you are building something that is supposed to leak. And when it comes to cleaning...it's nice to just knock the plumbing apart, rinse and reassemble.

Hummmmm.... Never really thought about it that way. Would be nice to be able to take it apart and clean easily. Thanks!

Stephen
Primary #1:Apple Cider(x2)
Secondary #1:Honey Stout (10 Gal)
Drinking, Ed's Original Apfelwein, Cheesefood's Ale, Krolsh, Ed's House Ale, Nut Brown
Kegged, B's Honey Wheat

Old 02-24-2007, 02:48 AM   #23
knewshound
Recipes 

I used a 5 gallon then went to a 50 qt when I went 10 gallon batches, and now have a 70 qt with a CPVC manifild and sparge arm.

I can comfortably work with as little as 20 and as much as 50 pounds of grain at a time.

It is still a work in progress but it works very well indeed.

You can see pics of it along with my old 50 qt in action here.

Go big or dont go.

You WILL grow in to it.

Once you find out you can make 10 gallons in only an extra hours work you will never brew 5 gallons again.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

knewshound

In Wine there is Wisdom.

In Beer there is Strength.

In Water there is Bacteria.

The knewshounds Blog

Homebrewing 1A

Homebrewing 101

Old 02-24-2007, 02:56 AM   #24
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sause
You don't even need a kewler kit, just get a drilled rubber bung that fits the opening where the spiget use to be, 4" of 3/8 OD copper tubing, stainless braid and a small tube clamp, about $10-$15 of stuff and your done.
I used to use a bung, and it was a PITA. It always used to leak a bit, and sometimes came out while stirring the mash.

I replaced it with a bottling bucket spigot. The hole needed to be enlarged slightly, but a half round rasp did that without any problem.

A drilled bung fits into the inside of the spigot, and a short length of copper tubing inserted into the bung connects to the false bottom, manifold or braid.

Saved me about $50 vs the kewler kitz (I have ait on the HLT as well as the MLT)

-a.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:29 AM   #25
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewshound
Once you find out you can make 10 gallons in only an extra hours work you will never brew 5 gallons again.
Respectfully disagree. I am way to impatient to work (drink) my way through 10 gallons worth of the same beer. To me the only thing more fun than drinking a homebrew..is brewing a homebrew.

Five gallon batches yield slightly more than 2 cases...just right. Maybe it's my ADHD, but as soon as I've placed my new brew into a primary, I'm thinking about my next recipe.

Variety is the spice of life. If and when you find the magical recipe that you cannot live without...then brew 10 gallons. Until then, experiment, try new things..have fun and remember:

30 gallons of homebrew divided by 5 gallon batches, gives you six varieties of beer...VS...three if you're doing 10 gallon batches.

Last edited by BierMuncher; 02-24-2007 at 03:36 AM.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:48 AM   #26
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I just had a crazy idea about an MLT and wanted some input for folks like the guy who started this thread, it may be worth considering.

First off, I'll make no bones about it... I'm on a STRICT budget... and I have no space at all to speak of. Things have to be collapsible, cheap, and simple. The main reason I haven't gone AG is that I don't have the space for a cooler... especially not a hideous orange one. And I'm not crazy about dropping $50 for something I'm going to hack into... so I got this idea.... it's a take off on an old idea, but I think it's a new idea...

I read about Papazian using two 5 gal buckets with holes drilled in the inner bucket. Not bad... but why not go one step farther... Create a manifold, just like the manifold in the Gott cooler system that guys are using... Put it in the bucket, plumbing it not through the side of the bucket, but through the BOTTOM of the bucket using some compression fittings to hold tight against the plastic bottom. Then you've got a great little MLT. But to make it even better, get a second plastic bucket. Put one inside the other, drill a hole through the outer one and run the manifold through the bottom of the outer bucket as well. Now you've got some insulation value as well... just add a valve for adjust flow and you should have a good MLT....

The cost of two 5 gallon buckets? Less than $10. The cost of a 5 gallon cooler? $40+... right? The insulation value should be about the same for the two.

So what do you think? 5 gallon MLT for under $30 should be doable...

Old 02-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #27
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
I just had a crazy idea about an MLT and wanted some input for folks like the guy who started this thread, it may be worth considering.

First off, I'll make no bones about it... I'm on a STRICT budget... and I have no space at all to speak of. Things have to be collapsible, cheap, and simple. The main reason I haven't gone AG is that I don't have the space for a cooler... especially not a hideous orange one. And I'm not crazy about dropping $50 for something I'm going to hack into... so I got this idea.... it's a take off on an old idea, but I think it's a new idea...

I read about Papazian using two 5 gal buckets with holes drilled in the inner bucket. Not bad... but why not go one step farther... Create a manifold, just like the manifold in the Gott cooler system that guys are using... Put it in the bucket, plumbing it not through the side of the bucket, but through the BOTTOM of the bucket using some compression fittings to hold tight against the plastic bottom. Then you've got a great little MLT. But to make it even better, get a second plastic bucket. Put one inside the other, drill a hole through the outer one and run the manifold through the bottom of the outer bucket as well. Now you've got some insulation value as well... just add a valve for adjust flow and you should have a good MLT....

The cost of two 5 gallon buckets? Less than $10. The cost of a 5 gallon cooler? $40+... right? The insulation value should be about the same for the two.

So what do you think? 5 gallon MLT for under $30 should be doable...

You want to go REAL cheap for your first AG system?? Not a problem, I did that too, and I did it for a lot less than $30. You have a bottling bucket, right? Go to Wally World, Target or whatever and buy a plastic colander. Cut the lip off of it, stuff it down into the bottom of your bottling bucket, just above the spigot. Instant MLT. Wrap an old blanket around it to hold temp, and you're set. Total cost under 5 bucks. But when you want to upgrade, don't mess around with the little stuff. As long as you're making an investment, Get the bigger stuff, cuz you will eventually anyway.

Oh, BTW I can tell you from experience that the insulation value of a cooler is MUCH better than with just a bucket.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 AM   #28
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
You want to go REAL cheap for your first AG system?? Not a problem, I did that too, and I did it for a lot less than $30. You have a bottling bucket, right? Go to Wally World, Target or whatever and buy a plastic colander. Cut the lip off of it, stuff it down into the bottom of your bottling bucket, just above the spigot. Instant MLT. Wrap an old blanket around it to hold temp, and you're set. Total cost under 5 bucks. But when you want to upgrade, don't mess around with the little stuff. As long as you're making an investment, Get the bigger stuff, cuz you will eventually anyway.
Interesting....

Quote:
Oh, BTW I can tell you from experience that the insulation value of a cooler is MUCH better than with just a bucket.
No.. I was talking about using TWO buckets stacked together... taking advantage of the airspace between them for the insulation value.. just like the plastic coolers do.. but without the expense of a $40 cooler.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #29
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

If you was to do that you'd have to seal the top gap which would be a pain.

What quite a few people in the UK do is use a plastic bucket with manifold and use camping mats to insulate it.

What they also do is had a cheap kettle Element for around £4 and havi it so they can heat the mash or use it for heating sparge water and even boiling the wort.

you can really get much cheaper than this set up. It's easy to store, cheap to make and you can brew inside.

http://jimsbeerkit.co.uk/ingredients.htm

If you want to try minimash first then this is DAAB's set up.
Great info.
http://www.18000feet.com/minimash/page1.htm

Last edited by Orfy; 02-24-2007 at 08:02 AM.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #30
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Hey Orfy!

WHy would you *have* to seal the top gap? If the air in there is getting warm and moderating itself, then it's doing its job as an insulator. I can't help thinking it sort of makes more sense than wrapping it in a blanket.

Air is a great insulator.... and it's generally free.

I thought about a mini mash, but I kinda feel like, "why bother?" It's like sticking it in and then going home... dry hopping is good. Going all the way is better. But getting the hops in the carboy and pulling them out before your done is a waste of effort.

Quick Reply