*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Building a Mash Tun. SS Braid or Manifold?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Hebby5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Building a Mash Tun. SS Braid or Manifold?

I posted a question about round or rectangular coolers. Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll be going with rectangular (48 or 62 qt.) based on cost. Need to start compiling my BOM and go to the hardware store.

After all the reading and video watching on making a Mash Tun, I see that some folks use a stainless steel braid or a build a manifold out of PVC or Copper with slits as the filter/strain device in the bottom.

I was going to go the SS braid route but wanted to understand if there was something I was missing with the manifold option.

Thoughts?

As always, I appreciate the help!

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Paul07293
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

People are using both with great success. I went with a manifold because there is no chance it will collapse, but I use a round 10 gal cooler. From what I've seen, if you have the rectangular cooler with the channel that drains to the outlet, the braid works very well.

"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."- Homer Simpson

Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Irishpenguin13
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I use the braid. Its worked through a whole bunch of batches with no problems. Some people have issues with em, but I never have. The manifold is more time and money, but youre never going to have to worry about it collapsing and whatnot. A manifold is probably better for a rectangular cooler though, and braid for a round one.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Braid and batch sparge IMO. If you are a "heavy duty" type guy, go for the water heater supply, those things are beastly. Just be sure to get an actual stainless braid, some of the supply lines at the big box stores are polymer or plastic jacket that looks similar.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
bthorn9435
Recipes 

Coleman Extreme 52qt has been working awesome for me. I do 5 gallon batches.
Four all-grainbatches and not one stuck sparge using braided
hose. I highly recommend it.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
corncob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I get all my grain from Brewmaster's Warehouse, and they use a pretty fine crush (I get 82% efficiency batch sparging). I got a stuck sparge every time I mashed using a purchased SS braid. PLUS I had to runoff very slowly or I would get a seriously stuck sparge. Then I made a manifold when I switched to mashing in a keggle. Now I can run off at lightning speed, never get a stuck sparge, and the wort still clears after about a half gallon vorlauf. That change alone took 45 minutes off my brewday.

There's one data point for ya.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
waddsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I first used a stainless braid loop in a round cooler and batch sparged. Then I built basically the same MLT for a friend, but decided to try a manifold on his. Doing side-by-side sparges showed the manifold to have better efficiency.

Kegged: Russian Breakfast Stout, Super Galena DIPA
Bottled: Dark Water RIS, 2010 Cider
2011 Gallons: 120 Gone but not forgotten: I Was a Teenage Ponger, High 5 IPA, Last Minute IPA, Skull Paint IPA, Dreadnaught clone, Calypso, Seconds Be Fast, Impaler, Double Impaler, Saint Sinister IPA, Gobbler IPA

Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I use a copper manifold in a stainless steel stock pot, drilled a hole in the stock and a gate valve, a little soldering and done. Why? because that is what I had in the my work shop. I had all of the stuff left over from re-plumbing projects. Simply bought the stock pot on amazon for 60 bucks... I like the manifold because I did not solder that I can take itt apart and clean it easily.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would do a manifold. Most of what is sold a SS is not or only maybe coated. A braid will collapse under the weight of grain and then all you have is a screen that is the size of your valve coupling opening inside the MLT. Do a manifold and you will be greatfull that you spent the extra time and money

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I have a braid right now. No chance of collapse. I used a piece of my old racking tube and put big notches in it and then pulled the braid over top. It's easier to take on and off like this too.

image-2703273042.jpg  

Quick Reply