Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Building mash lauter tun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
shredthrash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Building mash lauter tun...

I have recently purchased a Coleman Xtreme 5 52 quart cooler with hopes to turn it into a mash tun. I have looked all over the web for instructions on how to do this properly with my specific cooler, yet I have found none that match!

I was hoping that someone out there knew of a great guide / how-to for this model! I have either found videos on youtube that are for a different Coleman cooler, or their instructions are vague or include parts that are hazardous when in contact with an acidic liquid like wort (brass, zinc, etc).

I am still new when it comes to DIY projects, so I require something a little more exacting to my model...

I really hope that this post is descriptive enough and that I can begin putting this mash tun together soon!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
beerguy2009
Recipes 

Here is a link to a video on how to convert it. They used a 48 quart cooler but it is the same brand so you should be able to use exactly what they did with your cooler. I used this video to make mine and just had to form the braided line in a different shape to fit my cooler. Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Cooler mash tun

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy2009 View Post
Here is a link to a video on how to convert it. They used a 48 quart cooler but it is the same brand so you should be able to use exactly what they did with your cooler. I used this video to make mine and just had to form the braided line in a different shape to fit my cooler. Hope this helps.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ftY_HZAFJFc
The tape on the threads and the "spring" are unecessary

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Quick Reply