Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Buffer 5.2 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 02:17 AM   #21
uwmgdman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Interesting thread. I currently have a rye pale ale bottle conditioning. It's still not aged enough to judge it, still green, but I tried one last night and it was fairly astringent. It seemed with only upper 20s/near 30 IBUs there is no way it should have been that bitter, even if it is still green given my past brews.

My method was a partial mash. My water is quite hard, but I haven't had a problem before, but this mash was the lightest in terms of malts (3lb 6-row, 2lb flaked rye, 1/2 lb crystal 40, and 1/2 lb rice hulls, 1.25qt/lb). I'm thinking that grain bill may have been too light for my water and the mash pH was too high.

Before I jump to conclusions, I'm going to let this age for a while yet and see how it is in a few weeks/month. I might come back with a few questions about water and the Buffer 5.2.

FWIW, my water specs:

298 Hardness as CaCO3
281 Alkanity as CaCO3
60 Ca
36 Mg
3.9 Na
17.8 SO4
4.6 Chloride

Drinking: NewZealand IPA, 2013,2011 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #22
uwmgdman

Recipes 

About my above post. The Rye Pale Ale has mellowed a good amount over the past few weeks, but is still a bit harsh. Now maybe this will mellow away, but I think there are some tannis in there. And without measuring, my calculations point to a too high pH.

Anyway, I will be brewing another very pale grain bill this weekend and am thinking about treating my water pH5.2 buffer stuff.

My water is overly alkaline......lots of carbonate, so for a very pale mash, my pH is too high (my water is wonderful for porters and stouts). I figured out using Palmer's book how much brewing salts I would have to add. For the amount of calcium I need to add, I'd be adding way too much chloride or sulfate. So I think the pH5.2 buffer stuff will work well as it basically will acidify my mash and sparge water enough that the pH is lowered. I would only use this in the paler end of my brews.

Is my understanding of how this pH5.2 buffer works right? Does it seem like the way to go? I could blend water, but I'd rather just use tap water.

Thanks guys and gals!

Drinking: NewZealand IPA, 2013,2011 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 04-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #23
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 33 Posts

I think you'll probably be fine just adding the 5.2 buffer if you don't want to mess with acids and salts. Give it a shot and post some feedback on it.

Cheers!

Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #24
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
I think you'll probably be fine just adding the 5.2 buffer if you don't want to mess with acids and salts. Give it a shot and post some feedback on it.

Cheers!
I brewed up my lawnmower cream ale today using the pH5.2 buffer. Since I do partial mashes and the tub recommends 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon batch, I added about 1 1/2 tsp to the mash and 3/4-1 tsp to the sparge water. I hope this works well. I added the pH5.2 directly to the mash as I doughed in and to the sparge water shortly before I spraged. It made the water cloudy, I hope that is normal. I'll report back the results in a few weeks.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:08 AM   #25
Waldo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

1 tablespoon in 4 gallons of mash water gets cloudy as well, I tasted the water and you can't detect any flavor. For a partial mash thats probably what I would have done.

Life is to short and the liver can only handle so much, so why waste it on bad beer.

Quick Reply