The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > buffer 5.2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default buffer 5.2

I am about to place an order with northern brewer for my all grain setup and was wondering if I should get buffer 5.2? I recently asked for a water report to be sent to my house from the local water company. Is buffer 5.2 meant to be used alone or is it meant to be used in addition to water salts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you use salts to adjust your mash, then you should not need the 5.2. Part of the reason of adjusting your water is to have it at the correct residual alkalinity, that way when you dough in, the grains acidify the mash and drop it into the correct pH. It wouldnt hurt to use the 5.2 buffer, but if you do the water additions right, its not a necessary step

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Old 01-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by chode720 View Post
If you use salts to adjust your mash, then you should not need the 5.2. Part of the reason of adjusting your water is to have it at the correct residual alkalinity, that way when you dough in, the grains acidify the mash and drop it into the correct pH. It wouldnt hurt to use the 5.2 buffer, but if you do the water additions right, its not a necessary step
hmm, OK I think I will order it as I didnt plan on getting into water adjustments until I got a couple all grain brews under my belt

Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I had much the same question. Here is my take. If your water is naturally soft, low on all minerals, etc, don't get it. Test and adjust yourself. (That's unusual, but it's my situation) If it's hard or already is alkaline(what most people have), it'd probably help the mash.

But once you get the water test, you'll want to do it yourself, so you know what's going on.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post
I had much the same question. Here is my take. If your water is naturally soft, low on all minerals, etc, don't get it. Test and adjust yourself. (That's unusual, but it's my situation) If it's hard or already is alkaline(what most people have), it'd probably help the mash.

But once you get the water test, you'll want to do it yourself, so you know what's going on.
+1 on this.

My water is suited for beers that are in the 9-14 SRM range. Whenever I brew a beer in this range, I add calcium and magnesium to get the nutriet levels up, as my water is low in both, and then adjust the chloride to sulfite ratio. A lot of your adjustments and gameplans will come once you know your water profile

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I experimented with 5.2 for several months and found that most of the time it didn't work for me.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
hoppysailor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We have very hard water and have not wanted to pay for a water analysis to be done on our well. We have used ph5.2 in every mash and consistently get better than 80% efficiency, and the beer's good! I think it's helping but I know it's not hurting. We'll keep using it.

Quick Reply