Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brutus 20 Constant Recirculation Direct Fired Mash Process Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #21
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent
Couldn't one just sparge for longer with this setup ?

TTT
I don't think longer will necessarily get you more efficiency. Once the SG of both vessels are the same, recirculating longer won't be doing anything. With more sparge water, you have more to dissolve the sugars into.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #22
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
Can this be done with a Cooler as the MLT? And the BK will be the only thing direct fired? I dont see why not. I guess it would just take longer to get things heated up.
Sure. I don't see why not.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #23
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

This whole system sounds pretty cool to me. I'm not terribly concerned with efficiency as much as I am with repeatability and quality. My perception is that the finished product is worth much, much more than the components. I don't want to be wasteful, but if one were trying to make a world class beer in the Homebrew context, the last thing one would think about is efficiency. Granted, if I needed to make a living in a very competitive environment, my view would be different. This system allows for no-sparge or CRDFM, which is all I think I will need. I think I will take the plunge and start designing my one tier, two kettle, two pump system. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sparky for the inspiration.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #24
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Any updates on the CRDFM process? Are you still experimenting with this? Have you been able to stabilize it to achieve expectations?

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #25
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

I haven't tried it again yet. I still think it's a good tradeoff between equipment/space and efficiency. If you don't mind losing a few points in efficienct and want a compact setup, then this is a good option.

I've had my 3 brewing vessels for a while and I'm finishing up a single tier stand, so I'll probably stick to the traditional 3 vessel setup for now, since I would need another pump (with a single tier setup) to do this.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:02 AM   #26
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
I haven't tried it again yet. I still think it's a good tradeoff between equipment/space and efficiency. If you don't mind losing a few points in efficienct and want a compact setup, then this is a good option.

I've had my 3 brewing vessels for a while and I'm finishing up a single tier stand, so I'll probably stick to the traditional 3 vessel setup for now, since I would need another pump (with a single tier setup) to do this.
Ok thanks. My single tiered is being welded now. It will be set up as Brutus 10 with 2 pumps, so this should be an easy option. Deciding on lid switch system with hoses or hard plumbed WWII submarine look.
KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Old 01-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #27
Jo3sh
Recipes 

I'm planning on doing a CRDFM pretty soon, but instead of sparging with wort, I'm planning on doing a standard fly sparge.

Vessel 1: The Mash Tun
This will recirculate with heat applied as needed to maintain or ramp temperatures. Preliminarily, I'm planning to dough in to 122 or so, ramp to 150, rest, then ramp to mashout.

Vessel 2: The Hot Liquor Tank
This will have sparge water at 168 ready when the mashout is complete. The pump will get moved for sparging, and the runoff to the kettle will begin.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #28
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Funny, I was thinking about doing this today and realized that it's essentially my standard procedure anyway. I do a mash-out infusion to full volume after conversion, and recirculate in the MT for 10-15 minutes. It usually taxes the capacity of the mash tun, so I can see the two vessel transfer being good for larger batches or extremely high OG beers on my system. My efficiency is less than 65% normally, but I suppose I could squeeze a little more out of it.. It's basically a modified no-sparge mash, producing delicious, highly fermentable wort with no risk of over-sparging.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #29
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Anybody see a problem with starting the cross circulation at a lower
(say 163F)temperature until you know your gravity for the entire volume? I was thinking if you needed an extra point or two, you wight get it this way. Most of the conversion would have taken place at a much thicker grain/water ratio, of course. Measures would be taken to avoid HSA as well.

Thanks
KD

Old 07-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #30
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

I don't see any problems with that. Would you start heating the HLT/BK when you start the cross recirculation?

Quick Reply