Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brutus 20 Constant Recirculation Direct Fired Mash Process Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
JnJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
JnJ - it doesn't add as much time as you might think. Batch sparging usually takes me 25-30 mins (if I do 1st runnings + 2 batch sparges). I had SG equilibrium in 35 mins, and from the brutus 20 page - remember, he's doing larger batches, too:

The real trade-off I see is efficiency vs size+equipment. I would say there's also slightly less work than batch sparge.

I'm not trying to convince anybody that this is the way to go. I was curious and decided to gave it a try and report on how I thought things went. I'll be building a single tier stand soon and am still trying to decide if I want a 2 or 3 vessel system. I want to repeat things after I incorporate my barley crusher and see how the efficiency comes out. If I'm mid 70's, I may go with this.

I'd also really like to hear others thoughts if you decide to try this, too.
I can see the benefit for someone who is limited on brewing space. For me, I have the whole garage (next home we are building and I'll have a seperate brew shop, 5 years from now) so saving space isn't really a concern. I'm gonna stick with the plan of a 2 tier with 3 vessels. I'll keep an eye on this project of yours.

Töpperwein Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #12
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

I think a 2-tier 3 vessel setup is a great design. What's your setup now?

Hey, weren't you one of the SA guys having infection problems? I haven't heard anything about it in a while. Did ya'll get everything sorted out? I hope so.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnJ
I can see the benefit for someone who is limited on brewing space. For me, I have the whole garage (next home we are building and I'll have a seperate brew shop, 5 years from now) so saving space isn't really a concern. I'm gonna stick with the plan of a 2 tier with 3 vessels. I'll keep an eye on this project of yours.
Must be nice.
My brew shop is limited to one set of shelves in the basement storage room and a turkey fryer I have to pull out from in front of the car when I brew. Any brew sculpture I could have would have to take up less room than a gas grill and be portable so I could pull it out of the garage when I brew.

If I build a brew sculpture instead of the manual process I currently use I would like to go 10 gal which would take up even more space. If I could reduce that to 2 pots the size of the system starts to get reasonable.

This is still a ways in the future for me (kegging comes first) so I have time to plan.

Craig

Last edited by CBBaron; 12-23-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I think a 2-tier 3 vessel setup is a great design. What's your setup now?
Right now I'm heating strike water in my kettle and an additional pot. My MLT is a 5 gal gott cooler. I have 2 kegs that I will convert for my HLT and kettle and I'll either use a 10 gal gott or some other cooler for the MLT. I plan to gravity feed from HLT to MLT and then use the pump from MLT to HLT and HLT through chiller and into fermentor.

Quote:
Hey, weren't you one of the SA guys having infection problems? I haven't heard anything about it in a while. Did ya'll get everything sorted out? I hope so.
Yup, my next batch was bad and I got so discuraged about it that I stopped posting on the subject. Any way, in that batch I realized I did use an old airlock which might have caused the contamination. Also I put my IC in the wort for the last 15 minutes of the boil, so it is good, but the plasic hose and hose clamps sit over the wort and so I went ahead and sanitized that, used a new airlock, and used bottled water on the last batch. This batch I just transfered to the keg and it seems good. It had a slight "off" flavor, but it's been a while since I've tasted a green beer without infection. So I think this one is just green. (fingers crossed).

Töpperwein Brewery

Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Good to hear. Any word on the other guys?

Old 12-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #16
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

Why does going to this two pot setup make larger gravity brews harder? I am a newb and looking at using this setup theory, however, I certainly enjoy big beers above 8%, will this be a problem?

Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #17
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

I think it would work fine for any kind of beer. The only thing mentioned was you'll have to use plenty of sparge water to get decent efficiency. I suggest giving it a try before you fully commit. If you don't like the process, it's easy to add the extra vessel for a HLT.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #18
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
Must be nice.
Any brew sculpture I could have would have to take up less room than a gas grill and be portable so I could pull it out of the garage when I brew.
Craig
Merry Christmas.

http://www.weliveoutside.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=133

And yes you can find them cheaper. That is just a link to show you what you need!

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 12-25-2007, 12:19 AM   #19
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
I think it would work fine for any kind of beer. The only thing mentioned was you'll have to use plenty of sparge water to get decent efficiency. I suggest giving it a try before you fully commit. If you don't like the process, it's easy to add the extra vessel for a HLT.
Couldn't one just sparge for longer with this setup ?

TTT

Old 12-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #20
bigben
Recipes 

Can this be done with a Cooler as the MLT? And the BK will be the only thing direct fired? I dont see why not. I guess it would just take longer to get things heated up.

Quick Reply