Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brown Ale with S-04 yeast...bitter/nutty/nasty! What happened?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #11
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 22

In addition to the temperature suggestion, making a starter w/ dry yeast is a no no. Better to pitch additional packs; rubbery flavors could also be autolysis. Ive had good luck w/ 04 @ 68F as well as 1098.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have had no problems using 04, maybe something else causing the problems?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

So it seems my fermentation temps of 65-67F for the S-04 yeast was ok. Not sure what caused this but it will be difficult for me to use S-04 again. I've always used Notty and US-05 as my primary ale strains and never had any off flavors with those.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Your nut brown ale is nutty? Sounds like something is wrong lol

Seriously though, I have not had these bad experiences people talk about with SA-04. In fact, I did 10 gallons of a mild with it and it really came out great.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Your nut brown ale is nutty? Sounds like something is wrong lol

Seriously though, I have not had these bad experiences people talk about with SA-04. In fact, I did 10 gallons of a mild with it and it really came out great.
I wish it was just "nutty" in flavor. This is something much different. Almost a chemical like aftertaste that just makes it not fun to drink. Never had anything like this and I used the same water, processes and ingredient quality I have been using for the last 15 successful batches. The only variable here is the yeast.

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I hope for your sake time fixes er up.

But just to put it out there, I use S-04 quite regularly fermented mid to upper 60's and don't have any issues. In fact Im drinking a Newcastle clone now with the same hops but a different grain bill. I will say that's a lot of crystal you got in there. Ive got crystal + chocolate total as 10.5%.

But I digress, I've never experienced the issues other people find with S-04. THat's all I wanted to say really.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't see the O.G. or F.G. listed anywhere. What were these?

Just a thought based on your recipe: With the fairly high portion of crystal/chocolate in your grist, and the high (ish) mash temp, perhaps the FG was higher than expected, which could make the taste a bit more syrupy, (some say cough medicine). You also have a bit of corn in there which at higher mash temps in higher proportions can cause extra sweetness.

There is also the possibility that you mutated the yeast a bit during the starter process. Dry yeast isn't really meant for starters - the packet contains lots of nutrients meant for re-hydrating in plain water. Throwing the contents of the packet directly in a starter or a beer can render 60% or so of the yeast cells unusable (either dead any/or they may just mutate a bit). I know many people just sprinkle the yeast on top of the fermenter (I've done it) but after reading a bit on this from some of the dry yeast manufacturers, you get much higher cell counts and fewer mutations by re-hydrating first.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patirck View Post
I don't see the O.G. or F.G. listed anywhere. What were these?

Just a thought based on your recipe: With the fairly high portion of crystal/chocolate in your grist, and the high (ish) mash temp, perhaps the FG was higher than expected, which could make the taste a bit more syrupy, (some say cough medicine). You also have a bit of corn in there which at higher mash temps in higher proportions can cause extra sweetness.

There is also the possibility that you mutated the yeast a bit during the starter process. Dry yeast isn't really meant for starters - the packet contains lots of nutrients meant for re-hydrating in plain water. Throwing the contents of the packet directly in a starter or a beer can render 60% or so of the yeast cells unusable (either dead any/or they may just mutate a bit). I know many people just sprinkle the yeast on top of the fermenter (I've done it) but after reading a bit on this from some of the dry yeast manufacturers, you get much higher cell counts and fewer mutations by re-hydrating first.
This may have something to do with it. I did not know that dry yeast could not be used in a starter to grow cell counts before pitching. I had good yeast activity for the first 3 days and then it just died off. I was still at 1.019 after 14 days of fermentation...had to wait 21 days to finish to 1.014.

Here are the SG's I measured @ 65F.

OG: 1.044

FG: 1.014

Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagg View Post
I have had no problems using 04, maybe something else causing the problems?
For me it's just the esters that this yeast produces. I'm just not a fan of them.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Has the beer been in the fridge long enough for the SO4 to drop completely crystal clear? I have found extra bitterness from SO4 while the beer is still a bit hazy.

Quick Reply