Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > brooklyn brew shop book of recipes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
corn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: madison, indiana
Posts: 86
Default brooklyn brew shop book of recipes

My SWMBO bought me a book: brooklyn brew show 52 seasonal beers. Several interesting ideas, has anyone tried any of these?

__________________
corn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
JonnyGT20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glen Oaks, New York
Posts: 1
Default

Hey I got this book as a gift and have been thumbing through the summer style recipes.

I think I might scale up from a one gallon recipe, but I don't have the equipment to do the usual 5 gallon recipe due to the extra amount of wort and cooling.

Some of the recipes definitely look interesting, though.

This would be my first all-grain brew, so I might start small.

How about you?

__________________
JonnyGT20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
corn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: madison, indiana
Posts: 86
Default

Yes, this will be my first all grain as well. I think I will try the small batch, then scale up if I like the results. Good luck, let me know which that you try and I will do the same.

__________________
corn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
kc1123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I've done a bunch of recipes as well as kits from BBS. I really like them! So far I've done: Everyday IPA, Grapefruit Honey Ale, Coffee & Donut Stout, Jalapeno Saison Mild,
Simcoe IPA, Blackberry Red Ale, Peach Cobbler Ale. I've only done the one gallon batch size though. They have a FB page and respond to a lot of questions there.

__________________
kc1123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
corn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: madison, indiana
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1123
I've done a bunch of recipes as well as kits from BBS. I really like them! So far I've done: Everyday IPA, Grapefruit Honey Ale, Coffee & Donut Stout, Jalapeno Saison Mild,
Simcoe IPA, Blackberry Red Ale, Peach Cobbler Ale. I've only done the one gallon batch size though. They have a FB page and respond to a lot of questions there.
Thanks, I will check it out. I grow blackberries, I'm going to try that one once they are ripe.
__________________
corn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
ao125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 486
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I saw the book for sale at Urban Outfitters next to a book of cat pictures and comics from The Oatmeal.
I have to admit, I'm dubious.

That said, I too would like to hear more about people's experiences with the recipes before I buy into it.

__________________

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto
ao125 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
BlakeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 320
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I brewed the Everyday IPA kit and liked it a lot. I also brewed the Grapefruit Honey Ale recently but it didn't turn out that great. I think it was a combination of adding more grapefruit zest after 3-4 days in primary and sucking up too much yeast when I bottled. Next time I bottle I won't rush it as much and get my wife to help with the whole process.

__________________
BlakeL is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
kc1123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao125 View Post
I saw the book for sale at Urban Outfitters next to a book of cat pictures and comics from The Oatmeal.
I have to admit, I'm dubious.

That said, I too would like to hear more about people's experiences with the recipes before I buy into it.
If you already know about brewing basics or have the means to do your own research without getting intimidated, then you won't care for the book. If you're a total n00b though, it's a decent starting point, especially if you don't mind staying small. They leave out a lot of information, so I wouldn't take the book as the be all, end all.
__________________
kc1123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
corn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: madison, indiana
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1123

If you already know about brewing basics or have the means to do your own research without getting intimidated, then you won't care for the book. If you're a total n00b though, it's a decent starting point, especially if you don't mind staying small. They leave out a lot of information, so I wouldn't take the book as the be all, end all.
Agreed, the book was an unsolicited gift from my wife. I have brewed a few batches prior. The brew instruction they give is very basic. My interest with the book is only in the recipes.
__________________
corn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #10
heckels
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 682
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

Default

I also got it as a gift. It's good for ideas but I've never made an actual batch from it.

__________________
heckels is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools