Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Broken drills from barley crusher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
bgburdman9
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Broken drills from barley crusher

I have been through 2 drills in the past 6 months on my barley crusher. First I tried the only drill I had which was a rechargeable one. It barely had enough power but eventually died. I then took an old electric drill from my dad. It had to be at least 30 years old, maybe even older. It crushed 1 batched but it would only turn at a very high rpm and left me with a lot of powder. On the next batch it just died about 10% through my grain and I hand cranked the rest.

I have a $150 gift card to amazon from a a coinstar machine that I want to use towards a drill. Which one would you get? All i know is I need a 1/2 inch electric but after that I dont know a whole lot about drills. I dont need anything fancy either, just something that will crush my grain at slow rpm and not die on me. What else would you buy, brewing related, for the $150? I thought about the 10-11 gallon pots to replace my 8 gallon one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
FatherJack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

I'm not a self grain crusher yet, but really, is an electric drill necessary?

Next year I was going to buy a grain crusher and was just going to do it by hand...

Primary: Beer
Bottled: Beer
Future Brews: Beer

Old 05-18-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 97

If you're crushing more than a couple pounds you really want to have a drill. Takes a lot longer to do it by hand, and it's a PITA. I just have a simple, 18V DeWalt cordless, works fine. Don't go too cheap, but you shouldn't have to spend more than a hundred bucks to get a decent cordless drill.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 718

I crushed 26 lbs of grain in my Barley Crusher by hand last weekend. It didn't take more than 10-15 minutes.

I consider it a workout to be able to drink more beer

Old 05-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i have a black&decker drill i got from lowes for $49. has worked great for a long time with my jsp mill. best to get a corded drill, as they have a lot more torque than the cordless drills and can sustain the punishment a lot longer

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 05-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
bgburdman9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I crushed 26 lbs of grain in my Barley Crusher by hand last weekend. It didn't take more than 10-15 minutes.

I consider it a workout to be able to drink more beer
Wow I have never done more than 12 and it usually takes me that long. At least it seems that long. Maybe I should just suck it up and do it by hand. Half my batches since I got the mill have been done my hand because my drills have sucked.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
i have a black&decker drill i got from lowes for $49. has worked great for a long time with my jsp mill. best to get a corded drill, as they have a lot more torque than the cordless drills and can sustain the punishment a lot longer
Depends. If I was buying a drill JUST to mill grain, maybe I'd buy a corded. Sounds like the OP doesn't have a decent drill around the house now at all; cordless is much, much more convenient for everything else than you might need a drill for. Besides, I don't think you need any more torque than my $100 DeWalt puts out, anyway. It's not stressed out when I'm crushing malt. I've beaten the hell out of that drill. I've had some B&D tools over the years, but no more; things **** the bed worse than Harbor Freight.

AZ, you're either nuts or have substantially larger guns than me. Perhaps both.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 AM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgburdman9 View Post
Wow I have never done more than 12 and it usually takes me that long. At least it seems that long. Maybe I should just suck it up and do it by hand. Half my batches since I got the mill have been done my hand because my drills have sucked.
I actually haven't timed it, but I lit the strike water and started grinding the grain at the same time this weekend, and I was done grinding well before the water heated up to strike temp...

Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Yes. Both.

I usually split it up (this was a 10g batch of IPA). I crushed half the grain; took a break to drink some beer, measure some hops, etc....and went back to finish crushing.

And - at least with a BC, you don't need to crank it as fast as you can, just sit there on a stool with a beer near by and start cranking....probably no more than 60-100rpm by hand

Old 05-18-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
bgburdman9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Depends. If I was buying a drill JUST to mill grain, maybe I'd buy a corded. Sounds like the OP doesn't have a decent drill around the house now at all; cordless is much, much more convenient for everything else than you might need a drill for. Besides, I don't think you need any more torque than my $100 DeWalt puts out, anyway. It's not stressed out when I'm crushing malt. I've beaten the hell out of that drill. I've had some B&D tools over the years, but no more; things **** the bed worse than Harbor Freight.

My cordless was a black and decker that was also a hand me down from my dad. I would much rather have a good cordless if you guys think a good one can mill my grain and last a while. I had always read that a corded one would supply more torque, but I am sure I could spend a little more for a good cordless one.

Quick Reply