Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > British Pale Malt vs American Pale Malt.. HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #11
RayInUT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want Maris Otter and the flavor you gots to pay the price. Forget about adding biscuit malt. Spend the extra dollar and get the real thing. That is why we homebrew. Bud can't do it but we can!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
brown_dog_us
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

But when the LHBS is out of MO, as the OP said, adding some biscuit or Victory gets you in the neighborhood.

Keg: Imperial Stout
Keg: Steam Beer
Keg: Robust Porter
Keg: Blonde Ale
Keg: Red Ale
Keg: Vienna Ale

Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
gregdech
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Along the same lines, has anyone around here tried lightly roasting some domestic 2-row to get a pale ale malt similar to MO? I've seen info on roasting/toasting pale malt to get crystal, munich, vienna etc. (for example, http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Me...oasting.shtml) but I was wondering if putting some domestic 2-row in the oven at say 80-90°C would impart the added flavors that we look for from the MO?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdech View Post
Along the same lines, has anyone around here tried lightly roasting some domestic 2-row to get a pale ale malt similar to MO? I've seen info on roasting/toasting pale malt to get crystal, munich, vienna etc. (for example, http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Me...oasting.shtml) but I was wondering if putting some domestic 2-row in the oven at say 80-90°C would impart the added flavors that we look for from the MO?
Thats a good question Greg.. I wonder how long you would need to roast it?

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Quick Reply