The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > British Grain and Grind Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 AM   #1
asdtexas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default British Grain and Grind Question

Two quick questions that are somewhat unrelated

1. is there a marked difference in taste between Maris Otter or a British 2 Row variety and American 2 Row? I like English Beers and understand the lovibond is slightly higher with British but wonder if it justifies the cost

2. does anyone their grain through the LHBS mill twice to get better efficiency? I am considering purchasing a Corona style mill but thought that perhaps the crush issue could be remedied by doing a double crush. Is this asking for trouble?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hi and welcome.

Marris Otter will give a unique result, although some brewers claim to get somwhat similiar characteristics w/ the use of American two row malt and specialty grain. Perhaps Vienna or biscuit malt?? Not quite sure.

Some have found that two passes through the mill at their LHBS has yeilded a better crush. This is more a result of the mills adjustment, rather than the mill itself, IMO.

IME, the corona type mills only require one pass of the grain if adjusted properly. Actually, if the mill is set a bit tight, overcrushing will occcur.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 06-03-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Ysgard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Briess makes a two row malt at a slightly higher lovibond, I believe its called Pale Ale Malt. It's comparable, I believe.

Quick Reply