Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > brewsmith water calculation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default brewsmith water calculation

Hey Folks: I have been playing w/ BS determining the amount of minerals I need to add to my water. The profile has a box for gallons of water. I assume this should be total boil volume? If this is total water volume do I treated all of the brewing water the same; mash, sparge and extra water?? I guess I should add all of the salts into the MLT containing all of the brew water, heat to dissolve then mash and sparge??? This water stuff is tough. My water is low in most minerals so additions are needed. Any thoughts appreciated? Charlie
ps beersmith not brewsmith

Primary
On Deck ESB, IPA, Arrogant Bastard Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You need to base things off your planned volume into primary. Just because you boil 6 gallons of water with 100 ppm Ca doesn't mean you wind up with 5 gallons of water still with 100 ppm of Ca. The calcium doesn't boil off, just the water. Get me?

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 11-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

[quote=ChemE;956870]You need to base things off your planned volume into primary. Just because you boil 6 gallons of water with 100 ppm Ca doesn't mean you wind up with 5 gallons of water still with 100 ppm of Ca. The calcium doesn't boil off, just the water. Get me?[/quote

Yeah I get it BUT what about the mash water profile. I have read this is the most important chemistry. No water has boiled off at this time. Thus mineral concentration is important. This is why I am confused.

Primary
On Deck ESB, IPA, Arrogant Bastard Clone

Old 11-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good point. I definitely tinker and meddle with my water chemistry and I always tweak so the final volume is what has the correct concentrations of things. It is true that what I mash with is somewhat more dilute across the board than what winds up in the fermenter. Whenever I check the pH of my mash it is always 5.2 (without using 5.2, just RO/DI water + salts + grains). Keep in mind that this was just MO not any dark acidifying grains. As long as we keep the pH around 5.2 we don't risk tannin extraction and should get great enzymatic activity. I'd say tweak to the final volume rather than the mash volume and RDWHAHB.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Quick Reply