New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewpubs = AG?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #21
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermicous
Pacific Coast Brewing Company in Oakland, CA is an extract brewpub. I believe they chose extract because they had a great location for a restaurant, but not enough space for an all-grain operation. The brewing network has an interview with one of the brewers, it was rather amusing, not because of the extract but for the brewers views on styles.

They just celebrated their 17th anniversary, extract is possible, just not common.

What? Light, medium, and dark? lol

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #22
Dr Malt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

The majority of brewpubs are all grain brewers. A very small percentage are extract brewers. Some brewpubs do most of their beers all grain, but may do a special or seasonal using extract, often as a trial. The cost of extract and the limitations it places on a brewer in making craft beers makes it unattractive. The level of activity you see in a brewpub and the number of brews they make in a week is related to their sales and the size of their brewing system. The economics of brewing makes it attractive to brew in 7 - 10 barrel batches. If a brewpub has a 10 barrel system, depending on sales, they may only brew 2 -3 days per week or less. And yes, some brewpub chains may brew more beer at one location than another and truck the kegs between pubs. So, not all the beer sold at one location was made at that location. Are there brewpubs out there with the equipment as show, I suspect yes. However, I suspect either the equipment has been bought as a decoration and is not functional or the particular location does not need the capacity at the current time and draws its beer from a functioning brewpub at a near by location.

These are just my observations.

Dr Malt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply