Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewpastor's Water into Barleywine didn't carbonate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
BeehiveBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brewpastor's Water into Barleywine didn't carbonate

I brewed this in May and was really excited to try it. It is really tasty, but it didn't carbonate. I used dextrose and bottled it. I used less than I normally would since it was going to be in bottles over six months.

Is there any way to carbonate it now, or should I just ring in the new year with a flat (albeit strong) barley wine?

Planning:oh I don't know, another pale or an ESB
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Water into Barleywine,
Keg 1: Local HBS Brown
Keg 2: Ed Wort's Haus Pale
Keg 3: Mann's Amber
Keg 4: Bee Cave Robust Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
devaspawn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could get carb tabs from your local HB store and uncap, drop tabs, and recap with brand new caps. That would work just fine. I've done it myself with no problems. Granted I haven't done this with 7 month old beer though. How old were the caps you used and did you use pop top bottles or twist off bottles. What temp did were they sitting at when they were priming. I'd still try the carb tab thing but only do it on like six bottles and give 3 weeks at 70 degrees. If it works then do the rest. If not save the tabs til a later date. It should work though. I was watching a special the other night where they were talking about getting bottles that had sunk years ago and harvesting viable yeast from them. Give the bottles a shake after re-capping them to rouse the yeast.

Prim 1: Ogre's Inverted Extra Red Ale
Prim 2: Ogre's Hair of the Dog Imperial Amber Ale
Prim 3: Ogre's Relaxed APA
Sec 1: Honey Blonde Ale with Hefe Yeast
Sec 2: Scotch Wee Heavy
Sec 3: Ogre's Simple Mead
Keg 1: Ogre's Brown Ale
Keg 2: Ogre's Extra Red Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply